Author Topic: Coilover choice.  (Read 4610 times)

Offline Willyboy

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 10
Coilover choice.
« on: 08 May 2012, 13:44 »
Hi everyone im new to this site and would like a little bit of help choosing the right coilover kit for my 1997 mk3 golf gti 8v. Ive been looking at the spax rsx kit but im not sure if there any good. If anyone could me id be very greatful. Cheers Will

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: Coilover choice.
« Reply #1 on: 08 May 2012, 13:49 »
Do you really need coilovers, if not then fit a decent quality spring and shock kit.

Offline Dan_GTi8v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,904
Re: Coilover choice.
« Reply #2 on: 08 May 2012, 20:36 »
Wietec Hicon GT or GTN are the coilovers I would recommend, though as Wayne says if you dont need coilovers just get a fixed kit. same money spent on a fixed kit will generally get you better quality
20vt conversion, sig pic coming soon!

Build thread http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=167291.0

Offline kodkod.84

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 158
Re: Coilover choice.
« Reply #3 on: 08 May 2012, 22:03 »
Yes I have weitec hicon gt and am impressed. They are not as harsh as i thought they would be :)

Offline Willyboy

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 10
Re: Coilover choice.
« Reply #4 on: 08 May 2012, 22:33 »
I already have koni adjustable shocks and lowering springs and ive had them a year and they complete crap as one of them is now leaking. Are the weitec hicon gt or gtn kits stiff?

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: Coilover choice.
« Reply #5 on: 08 May 2012, 23:57 »
I already have koni adjustable shocks and lowering springs and ive had them a year and they complete crap as one of them is now leaking. Are the weitec hicon gt or gtn kits stiff?

Strange you have had issues with Koni, they are top notch

Offline Willyboy

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 10
Re: Coilover choice.
« Reply #6 on: 09 May 2012, 10:01 »
Thats what thought until i had one rear adjust more than the other. A front adjuster lock up and now a shock is leaking after a year.

Offline Willyboy

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 10
Re: Coilover choice.
« Reply #7 on: 09 May 2012, 13:17 »
Does anyone know if the spax rsx coilover kits are any good?

Offline Dan_GTi8v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,904
Re: Coilover choice.
« Reply #8 on: 09 May 2012, 17:36 »
Dont have any experience with spax coilovers but I did have a set of their fixed and didnt think much of them. saying that though I have'nt read much bad about their coilovers

With the Wietecs they come in 3 types, GTN and GT I'm not sure what the difference is but I know the GTN is cheaper, there damping is set at around 30%. They also have a TX kit which has adjustable damping
20vt conversion, sig pic coming soon!

Build thread http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=167291.0

Offline Len

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,292
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
Re: Coilover choice.
« Reply #9 on: 09 May 2012, 20:26 »
Spax are generally very good but I would also have said that about Koni too!

Wietec and FK's are good.

Depends how much you want to spend really.
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk