Author Topic: performance chip??  (Read 2876 times)

Offline b_boy02

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 57
Re: performance chip??
« Reply #10 on: 07 May 2012, 22:16 »
That's solder type I'm pretty sure, in which case it's a job for a ECU specialist, which for the price you might as well get a professional remap.

Do you have any idea if the chip on a 1996 16v is a push or solder type?

Offline thai-wronghorse

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,325
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
Re: performance chip??
« Reply #11 on: 07 May 2012, 22:49 »
It should be push fit just like most of the 16v chips are (my 97 16v was) BUT there are several types so it's worth emailing the seller and he'll tell you if his are compatible with your ECU.

Offline Khare

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,626
  • The bear that khares
Re: performance chip??
« Reply #12 on: 08 May 2012, 00:54 »
It should be push fit just like most of the 16v chips are (my 97 16v was) BUT there are several types so it's worth emailing the seller and he'll tell you if his are compatible with your ECU.

That's the best option. You will need to send him your ecu code.

Offline Ess_Three

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,123
Re: performance chip??
« Reply #13 on: 08 May 2012, 08:26 »
Do you have any idea if the chip on a 1996 16v is a push or solder type?

ABF ECUs are all push fit, regardless of whether they are AE, BE or AB type.

Reducing my Golf count by the week....
..but gaining motorcycles.

Offline Dogbot

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 431
Re: performance chip??
« Reply #14 on: 08 May 2012, 08:52 »
Do you have any idea if the chip on a 1996 16v is a push or solder type?

ABF ECUs are all push fit, regardless of whether they are AE, BE or AB type.

this brings me happiness & joy!! :grin:

Offline thai-wronghorse

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,325
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
Re: performance chip??
« Reply #15 on: 08 May 2012, 09:09 »
Do you have any idea if the chip on a 1996 16v is a push or solder type?

ABF ECUs are all push fit, regardless of whether they are AE, BE or AB type.


Oh really, when I spoke to the seller of the chips albeit quite a while ago I'm sure he mentioned that there was a certain ECU used that wasnt push fit.

Offline Ess_Three

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,123
Re: performance chip??
« Reply #16 on: 08 May 2012, 11:08 »
Oh really, when I spoke to the seller of the chips albeit quite a while ago I'm sure he mentioned that there was a certain ECU used that wasnt push fit.

I've had all 3 types in the past and all were push fit.
Unless the cases had been swapped over?

Reducing my Golf count by the week....
..but gaining motorcycles.

Offline Khare

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,626
  • The bear that khares
Re: performance chip??
« Reply #17 on: 08 May 2012, 11:21 »
Doubt it. I'm pretty sure all 16v's and early VR6's and early 8v's were push fit.

I think the reason he wants different ECU codes is to program that chip to that ECU code.

Offline Screech16v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,432
  • MK3 20vt AGU
Re: performance chip??
« Reply #18 on: 08 May 2012, 19:02 »
Yep mine was push fit 97 BE