Author Topic: Brighter standard headlights  (Read 1790 times)

Offline Bandit127

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 443
Brighter standard headlights
« on: 04 May 2012, 19:01 »
Call me old (I am - 50 on Sunday). And call me considerate - I am not putting HIDs in to my old reflector headlights.

And call me old again - my GTi is completely original and I want to keep it that way.

With all that - what bulbs do you reckon are the brightest I can use to light my way?

Offline Screech16v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,432
  • MK3 20vt AGU
Re: Brighter standard headlights
« Reply #1 on: 04 May 2012, 19:19 »
osram nightbreakers me old codge  :smiley:

Offline search

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 898
Re: Brighter standard headlights
« Reply #2 on: 04 May 2012, 19:51 »
led running lights at the bottom. lol
Golf mk3 1.4 (sold)
Golf mk2 1.3 (sold)
Golf mk3 1.6

Offline Bandit127

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 443
Re: Brighter standard headlights
« Reply #3 on: 04 May 2012, 19:57 »
led running lights at the bottom. lol
While posey and good looking - not original so no deal for mine.

According to the advice of some whippersnapper named Screech with twice as many valves as me, I ordered some Nightbreaker Plus off Amazon for £12.29 the pair delivered.
« Last Edit: 04 May 2012, 20:00 by Bandit127 »

Offline Screech16v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,432
  • MK3 20vt AGU
Re: Brighter standard headlights
« Reply #4 on: 04 May 2012, 20:23 »
Ha wish i was a whippersnapper ,im only 15 years behind you lol
Not sure if theres a guide on here or how good you are at wiring but apparantly the lighting loom on these is a mile long and sufferers from a bit of voltage drop,if you want to get max power to your new bulbs its worth doing the relay mod  :wink:

Offline kahunajb

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 331
Re: Brighter standard headlights
« Reply #5 on: 04 May 2012, 20:27 »
Osram nightbreakers are quality, you should be ok with them.... and happy birthday for Sunday.  :smiley:
Mk1 Leon Cupra TDI - Keeping
Mk5 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 1 - FOR SALE £5,250
Mk3 GTI 16v Anniversary - OEM+ - Gone :(
Mk4 GTI 2.0 - Slow - Good Riddance

Offline gasketface

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,237
Re: Brighter standard headlights
« Reply #6 on: 04 May 2012, 20:34 »
Hi Bandit 127.I am nearly same age and in same town.2 old(ish) farts in the same area can with same cars can only be a good thing.

Your not gonna turbo it or slam it then ???  :laugh: :grin: :smiley:

If you see me around and wonder if it's "that bloke on the forum" my plate will make you think of Porsche !.

Offline kodkod.84

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 158
Re: Brighter standard headlights
« Reply #7 on: 04 May 2012, 23:21 »
Vote for Philips X-treme,(prob very similar to the Osrams)
 put these in the other week and they're ace. Also blue vision side bulbs look better than the standard yellowly ones.

Offline thai-wronghorse

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,325
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
Re: Brighter standard headlights
« Reply #8 on: 05 May 2012, 09:36 »
I use Philips X-treme in mine but wouldn't hesitate to fit Osram nightbreakers plus either. In various reviews and tests they basically came out the best and with very similar results.