Author Topic: Aftermarket steering wheel boss?  (Read 5544 times)

Offline blueandy

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 106
Aftermarket steering wheel boss?
« on: 03 May 2012, 11:50 »
I'm after fitting my OMP Corsica wheel to my GTI 16v mk3 3dr.

What size spline do I have please?
I note that some sellers state that it is "not for cars with airbag fitted", I assume that this means that I cant have an airbag fitted afterwards and that it is not for cars that have never had an airbag?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Steering-Wheel-Boss-Kit-VW-Golf-Mk3-/170637583540?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27bacae4b4

this one caught my eye, I'm not after a quick release or anything, will it fit/work?

Offline Dogbot

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 431
Re: Aftermarket steering wheel boss?
« Reply #1 on: 03 May 2012, 12:56 »
i believe the "not for airbag cars" statement covers them as the boss does not come with the 2ohm resistor to fool the airbag light, like the more expensive momo, sparco & so on...

Offline Bandit127

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 443
Re: Aftermarket steering wheel boss?
« Reply #2 on: 03 May 2012, 17:43 »
It has been said before and it will probably need to be said again many times.

The MOT rules have changed. If the car had an airbag fitted when new it will fail an MOT if it doesn't have one now.

Quote
The vehicle will fail the test if any airbag fitted as original equipment is obviously missing or defective.
From http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/car-servicing-repair/mot-changes-2012.html

Offline Dogbot

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 431
Re: Aftermarket steering wheel boss?
« Reply #3 on: 03 May 2012, 17:54 »
It has been said before and it will probably need to be said again many times.

The MOT rules have changed. If the car had an airbag fitted when new it will fail an MOT if it doesn't have one now.

Quote
The vehicle will fail the test if any airbag fitted as original equipment is obviously missing or defective.
From http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/car-servicing-repair/mot-changes-2012.html

no argument there but theres no rules saying he cant have an aftermarket wheel for the other 364 days in the year......

Gavv8

  • Guest
Re: Aftermarket steering wheel boss?
« Reply #4 on: 03 May 2012, 19:32 »
It has been said before and it will probably need to be said again many times.

The MOT rules have changed. If the car had an airbag fitted when new it will fail an MOT if it doesn't have one now.

Quote
The vehicle will fail the test if any airbag fitted as original equipment is obviously missing or defective.
From http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/car-servicing-repair/mot-changes-2012.html

no argument there but theres no rules saying he cant have an aftermarket wheel for the other 364 days in the year......
Right up to the point where he has to explain it to an insurance assessor.

Offline Dogbot

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 431
Re: Aftermarket steering wheel boss?
« Reply #5 on: 03 May 2012, 19:55 »
So..... None on here run an aftermarket wheel.....

I dont think there's a single car in my local club that's running a standard wheel apart from those that are particularly new, or have nice std steering wheels...

Then look a show field I would put money on 80% of them having aftermarket steering wheels fitted...

Granted I never mentioned that he would have to notify insurance company but that's not what the op asked... After all I gave him an answer to his question, it not our responsibility to be the nanny state here...

There's too much red tape round everything these days
I thought this was a place for car enthusiasts to chat an get the answers to things they didnt know not a place where everyone discusses why you can't do anything to your car because that would leave you outside the bubble wrap that the whole bleeding world has to be wrapped in these days...

To the op,
That boss, provided it is the correct stud pattern for your wheel, and is listed for a mk3 golf should do you nicely, it will not come with a resistor to turn your airbag light off,
At mot time you will need to present your car with a steering wheel that is fitted with an airbag and the airbag light illuminating its sequence correctly, you will also need to inform your insurance company of the modification to your car with the aftermarket steering wheel...

I do believe  that covers all the red tape concerned after all modifying a vehicle is not a crime.....

It's a crime to not have the correct paperwork and insurance cover on the vehicle

« Last Edit: 03 May 2012, 19:57 by Dogbot »

Gavv8

  • Guest
Re: Aftermarket steering wheel boss?
« Reply #6 on: 03 May 2012, 20:01 »
You made a comment, i made a comment...thats how it goes...

Offline Dogbot

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 431
Re: Aftermarket steering wheel boss?
« Reply #7 on: 03 May 2012, 20:19 »
Alright, alright could you be so kind as to pass my dummy back as I've answered the op fully now,
Pmsl
Xxxx lol

Offline gasketface

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,237
Re: Aftermarket steering wheel boss?
« Reply #8 on: 04 May 2012, 20:55 »
Hi op.I bought a Mountney boss for my late model mk3.It was a non airbag one.

I thought it would be a straight fit but just meant no airbag could be fitted.

I thought wrong.

I had to dismantle it,take it to a machine shop and get it shortened and narrowed so it would fit.I also had to remove the splined adapter from the original column as my boss was the smaller spline.I also had to take the slip ring off the old wheel and modify it to fit my Momo one.It was worth it in the end,until they changed the law.....  :angry:

I dare say there are some out there that will fit straight on a late mk3 but the early model mk3 Mountney one sure does'nt..........


This is like the one you need :-

http://www.passionauto.co.uk/products/vw-golf-mk3vento-airbag-replacement-steering-wheel-boss-kit.html

Offline Gash

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,259
Re: Aftermarket steering wheel boss?
« Reply #9 on: 04 May 2012, 22:14 »
id say it depends on the place.
my boss (a cheap one) didnt have a resistor in it but didnt light up the airbag light.

if the air bag light comes on how is mot tester going to know the car came with a airbag? its not going to say anything on the new wheel?

my new audi r8 wheel im fitting came with an airbag as standard but im not paying 300 quid for an air bag so iv just bought a cover, shows nothing about it having an airbag on it so iv argued the point that it doesnt have an airbag so how can it fail.