Author Topic: my sills after taking skirts off.  (Read 10698 times)

Offline stainesy

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,442
  • im not a master debater but i'm a cunning linguist
Re: my sills after taking skirts off.
« Reply #30 on: 03 May 2012, 21:48 »
If your gonna Play with old dubs, it might be worth investing in a mig welder and teach yourself to weld. Could save you £££

I did all the welding myself.

iv played with old cars for years mate and always had bits done for me. that was before i got mate redundant though  :wink:

All the reason for doing it yourself then. Having low funds was why I taught myself. Plus I could probably take better care whilst doing the work.

thats is very true. would love to be able to weld. its the setting the machine up propply that worries me. havnt got a clue about that

Offline Dogbot

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 431
Re: my sills after taking skirts off.
« Reply #31 on: 03 May 2012, 22:06 »
Setting the machine up is tricky but it's just a case of feed speed for the wire an gas pressure, my dad taught me when I was 5, I forgot everything untill I picked up the gun again 2 years ago, try looking at a mig welding forum, lots of help to be had there as I appreciate not everyone has a coded welder to pass on the knowledge, I had me a lil Clarke pro 90 to start with an traded it in for a larger mig, when one came up on sale, just for reference I sold mine for £40, so the deals are out there to be had!! Best of luck, I will be replacing a lower rear quarter soon an will post up an take pictures as I go for you if it might help...

Gavv8

  • Guest
Re: my sills after taking skirts off.
« Reply #32 on: 03 May 2012, 22:15 »
I had a clarke pro90, good little workhorse that was although a little jerky on the wire feed and it only went when i left it out in the rain by accident.

Offline Dogbot

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 431
Re: my sills after taking skirts off.
« Reply #33 on: 03 May 2012, 22:18 »
I had a clarke pro90, good little workhorse that was although a little jerky on the wire feed and it only went when i left it out in the rain by accident.

I too ad that problem with the wire feed, I replaced the gun for a pro one. From a local welding suplies for about £20 an it was beautifully from then on
I only swapped mine because a 150amp larger machine came up brand new, that was also capable of welding ali an it was only £120.... New... Had to be done

VW BUSH

  • Guest
Re: my sills after taking skirts off.
« Reply #34 on: 03 May 2012, 22:20 »
I was a coded welder once upon a time, picked up a welder for the first time in years and blew a hole in the floor :grin:

Offline Dogbot

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 431
Re: my sills after taking skirts off.
« Reply #35 on: 03 May 2012, 22:29 »
I was a coded welder once upon a time, picked up a welder for the first time in years and blew a hole in the floor :grin:


Haha it is very easily done!! Especially when the steel is quite thin really when you think that when they teach welding they use half in plates to start with pmsl

Offline thai-wronghorse

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,325
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
Re: my sills after taking skirts off.
« Reply #36 on: 04 May 2012, 06:32 »
Tbf you don't really need to be able to 'weld' properly to carry repairs like this. As long as you've got the plant set low enough you can basically spot the entire seam and simply flat it back before giving it a skim of body filler.

Offline Dogbot

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 431
Re: my sills after taking skirts off.
« Reply #37 on: 04 May 2012, 08:30 »
Tbf you don't really need to be able to 'weld' properly to carry repairs like this. As long as you've got the plant set low enough you can basically spot the entire seam and simply flat it back before giving it a skim of body filler.

This is a better way to do it really as it reduces the risk of warping the panels through the heat,
Top tip Thai...

Offline Gti_Jamo

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,109
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
Re: my sills after taking skirts off.
« Reply #38 on: 04 May 2012, 11:06 »
Surely you would be better getting wheel arch repair panels as they come with that end of the sill and the bottom section of the arch. I got mine of ebay they were no more than £30 each posted if I remember correctly. Not really a big job sorting that out but you want to get it done sooner rather than later.

yeah i was thinking is that bit the sillm or the wheel arch?
the main problem i have is the cost of somebody welding it up as welding costs a fortune

They come with the complete wheel arch and about 6 inches of sill. I had done no welding since I was an apprentice bout 10 years ago but took it back up to do my mk3 project. Started off with an easy bit on the rear panel then its was all pretty simple from there on but like said its all in the settings of the welder.


97' Mk3 Golf Gti 2.0 8v Rebuild Project http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=208865.0

Offline stainesy

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,442
  • im not a master debater but i'm a cunning linguist
Re: my sills after taking skirts off.
« Reply #39 on: 04 May 2012, 11:10 »
you no what i think im defo gona give it ago. there is even a short college evening course down the road from me to learn how to weld. and seeing as iv been made redundant and there is no bloody work around here id probly get the course for free aswell. that is a bloody good idea actuly seeing as how much welders charge lol