Author Topic: my sills after taking skirts off.  (Read 10713 times)

Offline stainesy

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,442
  • im not a master debater but i'm a cunning linguist
Re: my sills after taking skirts off.
« Reply #20 on: 02 May 2012, 23:36 »
Its just sill pannels iirc. Then cut them to fit. You checked all the rubber bungs underneath and on inside sill/floor. Just thought if its bad there what like elsewere

Yeah iv checked all the runner bungs under the car and they are all ok.
Where's the best place to get a panel for that rear bit I need doing?

Offline CJA321

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 684
Re: my sills after taking skirts off.
« Reply #21 on: 02 May 2012, 23:49 »
Well i just searched golf mk3 sill on ebay. Theres afew replacemant skins on there, but need cutting etc. Or any motor factor usually sell bodypanels etc

Offline chrisbeg34

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 81
Re: my sills after taking skirts off.
« Reply #22 on: 03 May 2012, 18:47 »
I am sure when I did m astra I got the skin from milehams mate

Offline kahunajb

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 331
Re: my sills after taking skirts off.
« Reply #23 on: 03 May 2012, 19:02 »
You can get replacement sills from eurowagens which are fairly cheap and supposed to be good quality but as its only the end bit it might work out cheaper for the body shop to just fabricate something.
Mk1 Leon Cupra TDI - Keeping
Mk5 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 1 - FOR SALE £5,250
Mk3 GTI 16v Anniversary - OEM+ - Gone :(
Mk4 GTI 2.0 - Slow - Good Riddance

Offline Gti_Jamo

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,109
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
Re: my sills after taking skirts off.
« Reply #24 on: 03 May 2012, 19:04 »
Surely you would be better getting wheel arch repair panels as they come with that end of the sill and the bottom section of the arch. I got mine of ebay they were no more than £30 each posted if I remember correctly. Not really a big job sorting that out but you want to get it done sooner rather than later.


97' Mk3 Golf Gti 2.0 8v Rebuild Project http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=208865.0

Offline stainesy

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,442
  • im not a master debater but i'm a cunning linguist
Re: my sills after taking skirts off.
« Reply #25 on: 03 May 2012, 19:21 »
Surely you would be better getting wheel arch repair panels as they come with that end of the sill and the bottom section of the arch. I got mine of ebay they were no more than £30 each posted if I remember correctly. Not really a big job sorting that out but you want to get it done sooner rather than later.

yeah i was thinking is that bit the sillm or the wheel arch?
the main problem i have is the cost of somebody welding it up as welding costs a fortune

Offline tshirt2k

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,323
  • Been there...Done that...
Re: my sills after taking skirts off.
« Reply #26 on: 03 May 2012, 21:08 »
If your gonna Play with old dubs, it might be worth investing in a mig welder and teach yourself to weld. Could save you £££

I did all the welding myself.


Mk3 ABF 16VT Megasquirt V3

Tshirt knows........ How to diagnose

Gavv8

  • Guest
Re: my sills after taking skirts off.
« Reply #27 on: 03 May 2012, 21:13 »
If your gonna Play with old dubs, it might be worth investing in a mig welder and teach yourself to weld. Could save you £££

I did all the welding myself.
Good advice, you can get s/h migs quite cheap and its not difficult with practice and actually quite satisfying, i used to do a lot of welding on old rover sd1's and p6's and they were generally much worse that any mk3 is likely to be.

Offline stainesy

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,442
  • im not a master debater but i'm a cunning linguist
Re: my sills after taking skirts off.
« Reply #28 on: 03 May 2012, 21:13 »
If your gonna Play with old dubs, it might be worth investing in a mig welder and teach yourself to weld. Could save you £££

I did all the welding myself.

iv played with old cars for years mate and always had bits done for me. that was before i got mate redundant though  :wink:

Offline tshirt2k

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,323
  • Been there...Done that...
Re: my sills after taking skirts off.
« Reply #29 on: 03 May 2012, 21:20 »
If your gonna Play with old dubs, it might be worth investing in a mig welder and teach yourself to weld. Could save you £££

I did all the welding myself.

iv played with old cars for years mate and always had bits done for me. that was before i got mate redundant though  :wink:

All the reason for doing it yourself then. Having low funds was why I taught myself. Plus I could probably take better care whilst doing the work.


Mk3 ABF 16VT Megasquirt V3

Tshirt knows........ How to diagnose