Author Topic: my sills after taking skirts off.  (Read 10723 times)

Offline stainesy

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,442
  • im not a master debater but i'm a cunning linguist
Re: my sills after taking skirts off.
« Reply #10 on: 02 May 2012, 21:07 »
oh dear thought u said u checked everywhere before buying 

i did have a good look at the sills. them end bits were under a thick coat of underseal i peels off to have a good look

Offline CJA321

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 684
Re: my sills after taking skirts off.
« Reply #11 on: 02 May 2012, 21:09 »
Yeah I will be getting it welded and mot isn't for a long time yet.
But is it safe to drive is the question?

Well its just going to get worse thats the only thing, you can treat it now, and use expanding foam, but when you come to weld it, it will turn into a ball ache because of all the foam etc. So kinda sticky situation  :tongue:

Well it is structurally weakened, personally i would drive it, but it depends how big you are on saftey etc, but tbh, welded or not i wouldnt think it would make that much differance

Offline stainesy

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,442
  • im not a master debater but i'm a cunning linguist
Re: my sills after taking skirts off.
« Reply #12 on: 02 May 2012, 21:12 »
my plan is to just treat and drive it till i get the cash to have it welded. not going to foam it.

Offline CJA321

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 684
Re: my sills after taking skirts off.
« Reply #13 on: 02 May 2012, 21:15 »
my plan is to just treat and drive it till i get the cash to have it welded. not going to foam it.


Just go for that then, you can only do what you can afford  :smiley:

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: my sills after taking skirts off.
« Reply #14 on: 02 May 2012, 22:03 »
It needs sorting asap and will be a lot weaker as is.

Offline stainesy

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,442
  • im not a master debater but i'm a cunning linguist
Re: my sills after taking skirts off.
« Reply #15 on: 02 May 2012, 22:49 »
It needs sorting asap and will be a lot weaker as is.

Weaker in what situation?

Offline tshirt2k

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,323
  • Been there...Done that...
Re: my sills after taking skirts off.
« Reply #16 on: 02 May 2012, 22:52 »
Yea it's a common fault. Looks like the inner skin section needs fixing also. I used the rear section of a sill repair panel to fix mine.









Mk3 ABF 16VT Megasquirt V3

Tshirt knows........ How to diagnose

Offline search

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 898
Re: my sills after taking skirts off.
« Reply #17 on: 02 May 2012, 23:11 »
sorry to jump on your thread but would this need welding to or can i treat it another way?
Golf mk3 1.4 (sold)
Golf mk2 1.3 (sold)
Golf mk3 1.6

Offline stainesy

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,442
  • im not a master debater but i'm a cunning linguist
Re: my sills after taking skirts off.
« Reply #18 on: 02 May 2012, 23:15 »
Yea it's a common fault. Looks like the inner skin section needs fixing also. I used the rear section of a sill repair panel to fix mine.









How much are sill repair kits? Did you do the welding yourself mate?

Offline CJA321

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 684
Re: my sills after taking skirts off.
« Reply #19 on: 02 May 2012, 23:23 »
Its just sill pannels iirc. Then cut them to fit. You checked all the rubber bungs underneath and on inside sill/floor. Just thought if its bad there what like elsewere