Author Topic: Engine conversion  (Read 4624 times)

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: Engine conversion
« Reply #10 on: 01 May 2012, 21:11 »
I think i might go down the 1.8 turbo road but still what is the best engine to go for audi or vw? 

Well it needs to be from an A3 or TT if looking for an Audi lump as they the only ones that are transverse.

Offline todd

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 120
Re: Engine conversion
« Reply #11 on: 01 May 2012, 21:14 »
Best way to go is either a vr6 engine which is a simple swap or go for a 1.8t I wouldn't go for the 150bhp out of the golf I'd have the 225 out of a tt or s3 which is a bam engine code, with a remap from r tech and free flow exhaust and induction kit you can push 300 bhp out of them with a ko4s turbo only problem with fitting a 1.8t with either the 150bhp or 225bhp engine u have to run standalone management but vr6 is the cheaper option make sure u change the chains and check compression chains usually good for 110,000, you will need a complete donor car though but you can pick up a rot box for around 300 Good luck whichever way you go!

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: Engine conversion
« Reply #12 on: 01 May 2012, 21:23 »
Best way to go is either a vr6 engine which is a simple swap or go for a 1.8t I wouldn't go for the 150bhp out of the golf I'd have the 225 out of a tt or s3 which is a bam engine code, with a remap from r tech and free flow exhaust and induction kit you can push 300 bhp out of them with a ko4s turbo

You make it sound easy  :smiley: the 150 or 180 bhp engine is a lot easier to find and both will map to over 200bhp, to get a Bam will be mega bucks plus even with a remap your only looking at around 270bhp, I have a 180 remapped and it is quick enough.


Only problem with fitting a 1.8t with either the 150bhp or 225bhp engine u have to run standalone management

Not true you can use the factory ecu / loom set up and it is better if you do as that keeps all the oe sensors plus fault codes stored as and when.

Offline Dogbot

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 431
Re: Engine conversion
« Reply #13 on: 01 May 2012, 21:27 »
Wayne's spot on as usual tbh, a friend has a corrado running a bam 225 from an s3 an that is running a a standard ecu remapped, with a custom made wiring loom to make it plug and play, unlike my wife's lupo which took a whole day an a half to splice the two looms together an not something I would like to undertake again!!! Lmao

Offline todd

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 120
Re: Engine conversion
« Reply #14 on: 01 May 2012, 21:28 »
Yeah did a vr6 conversion on my old mk3 everything just swaps over with no hassle, my mate bought a bam lump with box from a Audi s3 for £600 which isn't bad, won't he have to change the clocks over to run the 1.8t loom?

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: Engine conversion
« Reply #15 on: 01 May 2012, 21:31 »
won't he have to change the clocks over to run the 1.8t loom?

Nope as you can get away without them, not 100% sure how it is done however.

Offline Dogbot

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 431
Re: Engine conversion
« Reply #16 on: 01 May 2012, 21:32 »
Well I can only answer for the corrado, which had the immobiliser defeated in the ecu I believe from memory, but that is definatley running the original clocks

Offline todd

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 120
Re: Engine conversion
« Reply #17 on: 01 May 2012, 21:33 »
Wayne's spot on as usual tbh, a friend has a corrado running a bam 225 from an s3 an that is running a a standard ecu remapped, with a custom made wiring loom to make it plug and play, unlike my wife's lupo which took a whole day an a half to splice the two looms together an not something I would like to undertake again!!! Lmao

This is why I would go stand alone and all the ones I've looked at have stand alone, it's just easier, although I do admit that I didn't know you can run them on original ecu and loom

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: Engine conversion
« Reply #18 on: 01 May 2012, 21:38 »
Well I can only answer for the corrado, which had the immobiliser defeated in the ecu I believe from memory

Thinking about it, that sounds about right tbh.

Standalone is not something I would use, it removes a lot of the safety features.

Offline F17BAD

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,225
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
Re: Engine conversion
« Reply #19 on: 01 May 2012, 21:46 »
Best way to go is either a vr6 engine which is a simple swap or go for a 1.8t I wouldn't go for the 150bhp out of the golf I'd have the 225 out of a tt or s3 which is a bam engine code, with a remap from r tech and free flow exhaust and induction kit you can push 300 bhp out of them with a ko4s turbo only problem with fitting a 1.8t with either the 150bhp or 225bhp engine u have to run standalone management but vr6 is the cheaper option make sure u change the chains and check compression chains usually good for 110,000, you will need a complete donor car though but you can pick up a rot box for around 300 Good luck whichever way you go!

really clueless reply this sorry!!

you don't need horrible standalone management at all

i have a S3 engine in my golf 3 and its running on Full audi Management and wiring

and even the 150 bhp engines can be tuned very easily to 230+ bhp, more if you fit a K04 turbo etc

Also S3 came with APY, AMK and BAM engines, the AMK/BAM been the same..

TT also came with BAM plus some others that also come out the box with 225bhp, then theirs the s[port quattro that came with 240bhp  (all same just different factory maps
)

to do a 1.8T swap is gonna cost you quite a lot tho

VR6 is not only cheap, but can be done in a day
  


Not no ordinary GTI....

House classics and Techno mixes:
https://soundcloud.com/bradkells
www.mixcloud.com/kells/