Author Topic: gremlins are back  (Read 3453 times)

Offline gtiballs61

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 543
  • Wanted-nearside wing in lp3g(flash red)
gremlins are back
« on: 30 April 2012, 14:43 »
Gremlins are back.
Trying to sort my running issues :cry:
Think its now my
 air flow sensor,bought 1 off ebay only 3 month old.when fitted the revs
bounce from 800-1000 rpm.
Do I need to disconnect the battery after/before fitting?

The problem I'm having is what feels like a bad missfire in all gears,even does it on acceleration.
Changed:
Dizzy cap,dizzy,temp sensor,coil,plugs,leads,fuel filter.
Ecu relay,fuel relay,lambda sensor.
Vag now says Iat sensor-temp high-circuit low  :undecided:

Any help plz

Offline trog_nfs

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 975
Re: gremlins are back
« Reply #1 on: 30 April 2012, 15:12 »
Does it run any better with the air flow sensor disconnected?

Offline gtiballs61

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 543
  • Wanted-nearside wing in lp3g(flash red)
Re: gremlins are back
« Reply #2 on: 30 April 2012, 15:55 »
Does it run any better with the air flow sensor disconnected?

Yes

Offline Luke1981

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 530
Re: gremlins are back
« Reply #3 on: 30 April 2012, 16:02 »
Does it run any better with the air flow sensor disconnected?

Yes

Same thing happened to mine about 12 months ago. After changing everything I realised it was the MAF.
Got a new one and it ran perfectly ever since.

If there is anyone in your area who would be kind enough to lend you their MAF sensor for a few hours to confirm or negate whether it is that, might save you a few quid if its something else before you go purchasing a new one.
MK IV GT TDI 150 PD / MKII CADDY SDI

Offline gtiballs61

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 543
  • Wanted-nearside wing in lp3g(flash red)
Re: gremlins are back
« Reply #4 on: 30 April 2012, 16:23 »
Put the new(3 month old) maf on,now the revs slightly bounce from 800-1000 rpm :undecided:,but the miss fire has stopped :undecided:
Do i need to disconnect the battery for sometime to reset the ecu?
Me heads baffled

Also tried a friends maf with the same p/n: 037-906-461B and it does the same bouncy revs on tickover :undecided:
« Last Edit: 30 April 2012, 16:26 by gtiballs61 »

Offline javalin

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,457
Re: gremlins are back
« Reply #5 on: 30 April 2012, 16:25 »
no need to 'reset' the ECU.

Might be another problem causing bouncing RPM.  Check for air leaks?

Ignore the IAT for now - its a minor fuelling correction.

James
You only ever need two tools in life. If it moves and it shouldn't use Duct Tape. If it does not move and it should, use WD40.

Offline gtiballs61

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 543
  • Wanted-nearside wing in lp3g(flash red)
Re: gremlins are back
« Reply #6 on: 30 April 2012, 16:28 »
no need to 'reset' the ECU.

Might be another problem causing bouncing RPM.  Check for air leaks?

Ignore the IAT for now - its a minor fuelling correction.

James

But with the old maf on it doesnt have bouncy revs,just get the bad miss fire/idle issue :undecided:
also to note,it does run rich,get a strong smell of fumes
« Last Edit: 30 April 2012, 16:29 by gtiballs61 »

Offline gtiballs61

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 543
  • Wanted-nearside wing in lp3g(flash red)
Re: gremlins are back
« Reply #7 on: 30 April 2012, 17:21 »
Found this  :undecided:






Came from under the air box

Offline Screech16v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,432
  • MK3 20vt AGU
Re: gremlins are back
« Reply #8 on: 30 April 2012, 18:15 »
Isnt that your headlight dim dip resistor?

Offline dragongreengolfgti

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,124
  • my golf gti mk3
Re: gremlins are back
« Reply #9 on: 30 April 2012, 18:33 »
Isnt that your headlight dim dip resistor?

Yes that is for headlights so not your problem i'd start by getting a new temp sensor on your coolant flange  :smiley: this would make your car run rich  :wink: