Author Topic: 312mm brake conversion  (Read 3881 times)

Offline Dan_GTi8v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,904
312mm brake conversion
« on: 28 April 2012, 18:38 »
Been reading up on this and learned I need 312mm discs and caliper carriers, and use my standard 288mm calipers and pads.

my question is will the 312mm calipers not fit or do people keep the 288mm to save money?#

also what are the standard size rear calipers on the mk3 GTi? and is there any conversion I can do to make them bigger as well?

cheers
« Last Edit: 28 April 2012, 18:41 by Dan_GTi8v »
20vt conversion, sig pic coming soon!

Build thread http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=167291.0

Offline F17BAD

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,225
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
Re: 312mm brake conversion
« Reply #1 on: 28 April 2012, 19:13 »
Calipers from 312 will fit, its the carriers that differ, and you need to run spacers to make em fit, you should read my dub ride thread as iv recently carried out this mod

i run MK4 rear callipers, again these fit our mk3 carriers so its a direct swap, you do need to get hoses made up tho

no need to make the rear discs bigger, just use decent pads
  


Not no ordinary GTI....

House classics and Techno mixes:
https://soundcloud.com/bradkells
www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Offline Dan_GTi8v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,904
Re: 312mm brake conversion
« Reply #2 on: 28 April 2012, 21:22 »
I'll give it a read, I read the bit in the maintenance section but it didnt say anything about the calipers just carriers and discs. Also I meant rear discs not calipers, it was more for looks than performance on the rears thought having 312 up front and tiny rears would look a bit weird :P

Finding it hard to get a set of carriers on their own they all come with calipers but if they will fit on the mk3 its all good. So the whole mk4/a3/whatever setup will fit I just need a 6mm spacer and 40mm high tensile bolts? Where did you get the lines made up, would you be able to get another set made up? :)
20vt conversion, sig pic coming soon!

Build thread http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=167291.0

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: 312mm brake conversion
« Reply #3 on: 29 April 2012, 00:06 »
Thread: http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=94314.0

Not sure on a mk3 but on a mk4 the 288/312 calipers are the same.

Offline F17BAD

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,225
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
Re: 312mm brake conversion
« Reply #4 on: 29 April 2012, 13:12 »
I'll give it a read, I read the bit in the maintenance section but it didnt say anything about the calipers just carriers and discs. Also I meant rear discs not calipers, it was more for looks than performance on the rears thought having 312 up front and tiny rears would look a bit weird :P

Finding it hard to get a set of carriers on their own they all come with calipers but if they will fit on the mk3 its all good. So the whole mk4/a3/whatever setup will fit I just need a 6mm spacer and 40mm high tensile bolts? Where did you get the lines made up, would you be able to get another set made up? :)


we made the spacer made up ourselves (ben is the man)



i got the bolts on Ebay, super high tensile (you will need to source the washers too like i did)

use this link

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160447676394?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1637wt_907


here is the page on my dub ride thread where i fitted them. then later in the thread i added the MK4 set up to the rear

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=79957.2410
  


Not no ordinary GTI....

House classics and Techno mixes:
https://soundcloud.com/bradkells
www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Offline Dan_GTi8v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,904
Re: 312mm brake conversion
« Reply #5 on: 29 April 2012, 19:45 »
what is the custom pipes for just the calipers? so if I use the mk3 calipers I keep the standard hoses?
20vt conversion, sig pic coming soon!

Build thread http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=167291.0

Offline F17BAD

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,225
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
Re: 312mm brake conversion
« Reply #6 on: 29 April 2012, 19:50 »
what is the custom pipes for just the calipers? so if I use the mk3 calipers I keep the standard hoses?

yes mate, they go to the callipers so u could just use yours

will need custom pipes for mk4 rears tho
  


Not no ordinary GTI....

House classics and Techno mixes:
https://soundcloud.com/bradkells
www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Offline Dan_GTi8v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,904
Re: 312mm brake conversion
« Reply #7 on: 29 April 2012, 19:53 »
ok sounds good I'll stick with some refurbed mk3 calipers then :)

so I cant use mk4 carriers and mk3 calipers on the rear like the front? that sucks :(
20vt conversion, sig pic coming soon!

Build thread http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=167291.0

Offline F17BAD

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,225
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
Re: 312mm brake conversion
« Reply #8 on: 29 April 2012, 20:09 »
ok sounds good I'll stick with some refurbed mk3 calipers then :)

so I cant use mk4 carriers and mk3 calipers on the rear like the front? that sucks :(

no mate carriers are wrong for rear (i still have some mk4 ones here still that came with mine)

u just need mk4 callipers and conversion pipes
  


Not no ordinary GTI....

House classics and Techno mixes:
https://soundcloud.com/bradkells
www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Offline Dan_GTi8v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,904
Re: 312mm brake conversion
« Reply #9 on: 29 April 2012, 20:16 »
screw the rears then that can be a job for another day, cheers for info :)
20vt conversion, sig pic coming soon!

Build thread http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=167291.0