Author Topic: Exhaust sound  (Read 2775 times)

Offline stainesy

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,442
  • im not a master debater but i'm a cunning linguist
Exhaust sound
« on: 27 April 2012, 20:19 »
Ok looks like I have found the first problem with the new car.
When driving. Every time I eccelerate I have a loud SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS from the exhaust.
Gets louder the more I put my foot down.

Any ideas? I'm thinking collapsed cat or baffles gone in one of the boxes.
But wanted other opinions.

Offline search

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 898
Re: Exhaust sound
« Reply #1 on: 27 April 2012, 20:27 »
hole?
Golf mk3 1.4 (sold)
Golf mk2 1.3 (sold)
Golf mk3 1.6

Offline stainesy

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,442
  • im not a master debater but i'm a cunning linguist
Re: Exhaust sound
« Reply #2 on: 27 April 2012, 20:32 »
Think there is a tiny hole in the middle box but the sound is coming out the exhaust at rear of car. Realy loud sssssssshhhhhhhh on ecceleration.

Offline search

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 898
Re: Exhaust sound
« Reply #3 on: 27 April 2012, 20:44 »
Away to find out for sure if there's a hole is an old skool tip lol. Put your hand over the exhaust and the car should cut out if there's no hole... if it don't cut out then i expect a hole.
Golf mk3 1.4 (sold)
Golf mk2 1.3 (sold)
Golf mk3 1.6

Offline Luke1981

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 530
Re: Exhaust sound
« Reply #4 on: 27 April 2012, 21:04 »
As above, I had the same problem and it was a loose joint between the back box and cat!
MK IV GT TDI 150 PD / MKII CADDY SDI

Offline gti gaz

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 592
Re: Exhaust sound
« Reply #5 on: 27 April 2012, 21:04 »
hole, leaky gasket,  could be on to something with cat internals  :grin:





 Any one in cornwall lets sort more meets!!!!

Offline tweed

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 5,377
Re: Exhaust sound
« Reply #6 on: 27 April 2012, 21:04 »
Sounds like someone has fitted a dump valve thingy. Look in the backbox

Untitled by tweedub, on Flickr

Offline stainesy

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,442
  • im not a master debater but i'm a cunning linguist
Re: Exhaust sound
« Reply #7 on: 27 April 2012, 21:41 »
Sounds like someone has fitted a dump valve thingy. Look in the backbox

Yeah it does sound like one of them stupid things you stick up the back box. Mine still has the original downswept tailpipe tho so doubt one of them would fit.

Offline 67buggers

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 727
Re: Exhaust sound
« Reply #8 on: 27 April 2012, 21:43 »
Do the noise again...... :grin:


I fix iPhone's and iPod's, I can fix most faults call me on 07811344816 for a quote

Offline 16valver dan

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 312
  • 1.8 20v turbo MK4 Golf
Re: Exhaust sound
« Reply #9 on: 28 April 2012, 10:50 »
you would be suprised theres a gti round here with standard box and 2 of them whistling heap of turds in there never know it might be fitted down the exhaust a bit for extra sound as it goes through rear box worth checking imo
il update the sig when i get a good photoshoot ;)