Author Topic: column bearing  (Read 2279 times)

Offline Screech16v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,432
  • MK3 20vt AGU
column bearing
« on: 22 April 2012, 12:51 »
Anybody got play in their top colunm bearing and has any body changed one? part number?
cheers mark. :smiley:
« Last Edit: 22 April 2012, 20:35 by boneybradley »

Offline leegt5

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 765
Re: colunm bearing
« Reply #1 on: 22 April 2012, 13:41 »
I changed mine on my Seat Ibiza Cupra as the play was peeing me off. The mk3 Golf is the same setup as the Ibiza !!

The bearing is part of the ignition barrel housing.

Heres the Ibiza housing with the hole drilled to remove the ignition barrel.



The VW part number is 357 905 851

Offline Screech16v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,432
  • MK3 20vt AGU
Re: colunm bearing
« Reply #2 on: 22 April 2012, 14:35 »
Ah, cheers lee you are a star  :smiley:

Offline gti gaz

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 592
Re: colunm bearing
« Reply #3 on: 22 April 2012, 15:36 »
good man i need to do mine on the gti and tdi good info  :grin:





 Any one in cornwall lets sort more meets!!!!

Offline leegt5

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 765
Re: colunm bearing
« Reply #4 on: 22 April 2012, 17:23 »
To get the housing holding the bearing off you need to remove the splined sleeve below which is a right pig without the correct puller tool.



If in the process of getting it off you damage it, it's about £10 for a new one !!

Offline Screech16v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,432
  • MK3 20vt AGU
Re: colunm bearing
« Reply #5 on: 22 April 2012, 17:31 »
Lee will a normal 3 legged puller do the job?

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: column bearing
« Reply #6 on: 22 April 2012, 21:07 »
I fitted another top part of the column on mine, was a complete ballache to do however.

Offline leegt5

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 765
Re: colunm bearing
« Reply #7 on: 23 April 2012, 18:00 »
Lee will a normal 3 legged puller do the job?

The lip on the sleeve for the puller to pull is really thin so I doubt you'll grip it with a normal 3 leg puller. VW have a special tool to do it without damaging it. Most people order a new sleeve and get a chisel under the lip and knock it off then use a new sleeve.