Author Topic: suspension struts  (Read 2592 times)

Offline Milby

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 269
suspension struts
« on: 21 April 2012, 10:02 »
after a really uncomfortable week ive decided to go back on standard suspension as i do too many miles to be this uncomfortable  :sad: ive got a 1.4 se are gti struts the same ??

MK3 Golf 1.4 SE ;)

Offline Bellend

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,718
Re: suspension struts
« Reply #1 on: 21 April 2012, 11:35 »
Where are your old struts?

Where all my moneys went.

Golf MK3 1.6. Golf MK3 8v GTI.

Offline Milby

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 269
Re: suspension struts
« Reply #2 on: 21 April 2012, 11:43 »
I've got the back ones but the front ones got drilled out as allen ket snapped it top mount bit

MK3 Golf 1.4 SE ;)

Offline Bellend

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,718
Re: suspension struts
« Reply #3 on: 21 April 2012, 14:32 »
Ah. They will fit. Be a bit higher though as the 1.4 weighs nothing.

I'd just either raise the coilovers or just carry on. You get used to it after a while and I now find the normal suspension far too wobbly.

Where all my moneys went.

Golf MK3 1.6. Golf MK3 8v GTI.

Offline mrsaunders

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 575
Re: suspension struts
« Reply #4 on: 21 April 2012, 18:14 »
yeah as sonn as i got my 16v i realised how bad they actually feel, its like there on stilts, stick with the coilovers your get used to it

Offline Rmachines

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,901
  • Passat 20vT Estate and Candy White MK3 1.8 GL
Re: suspension struts
« Reply #5 on: 22 April 2012, 11:33 »
The GTI Shocks are 10/15mm lower i forget which one but they are a bit lower anyway.  And to be honest the 8v lump probably isn't all that much heavier than the 1.4,  So it might sit a little bit lower than stock shocks, but certainly shouldn't be any higher.  I don't know what the other differences are but i did this once and it did seem to handle a lot better.
10 golfs and counting! 

Engine cranes = the ultimate tool to test the tensile strength of Everything you didn't disconnect!


Offline boneybradley

  • Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • *****
  • Posts: 9,482
  • Back in a Mk3...
Re: suspension struts
« Reply #6 on: 22 April 2012, 11:43 »
struts are the same fitments but on the gti they are gas and on std models they are oil (so the gti are firmer)....and the shockers wont make much difference to the the height
Moderator of The Dub-Tug Squad!! (What some call the MK3 section!)



Full range of quality parts for your Volkswagen available at Oemandmore.co.uk

Offline Ess_Three

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,123
Re: suspension struts
« Reply #7 on: 22 April 2012, 11:47 »
All dampers are oil filled...the gas pressurising is to stop the oil frothing under hard use.

Reducing my Golf count by the week....
..but gaining motorcycles.

Offline Milby

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 269
Re: suspension struts
« Reply #8 on: 22 April 2012, 13:50 »
i think im going to try to live with coilovers  :smiley: they are starting to soften a bit  :smiley:

MK3 Golf 1.4 SE ;)

Offline AudiA8Quattro

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,777
Re: suspension struts
« Reply #9 on: 22 April 2012, 16:48 »
Shocks won't affect ride height, the springs do that.
I doubt the gti shocks are shortened.
FOR DIY GUIDES GO TO <br>www.volkswagenaudi.co.uk<br/>BRAKES, SUSPENSION, CV JOINTS