Author Topic: Is this guy serious?  (Read 2003 times)

Offline dom

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 10,083
  • Back in a Mk4
Is this guy serious?
« on: 14 April 2012, 23:26 »
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=228459.0

A VR6 without tax or test, with rotten sills, floor and arch, needing a whole host of other work doing with an estimate of £3k and he's still asking £700 :shocked: :laugh:

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: Is this guy serious?
« Reply #1 on: 14 April 2012, 23:39 »
Well I doubt it is worth £700 but I guess you could break it and see some / most of your money back.

Offline dom

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 10,083
  • Back in a Mk4
Re: Is this guy serious?
« Reply #2 on: 14 April 2012, 23:42 »
Well I doubt it is worth £700 but I guess you could break it and see some / most of your money back.

Yeah you'd probably see your money back but going to be hard to sell a leather interior without a passenger seat :grin:

Also he's pricing it at about the same price as ones with tax & test.

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: Is this guy serious?
« Reply #3 on: 14 April 2012, 23:44 »
Well I doubt it is worth £700 but I guess you could break it and see some / most of your money back.

Yeah you'd probably see your money back but going to be hard to sell a leather interior without a passenger seat :grin:

Also he's pricing it at about the same price as ones with tax & test.

If you honest it is worth £300 tops.

Offline thai-wronghorse

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,325
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
Re: Is this guy serious?
« Reply #4 on: 15 April 2012, 01:55 »
Heap of sh!t. end.

Offline Jasikasisback

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 782
Re: Is this guy serious?
« Reply #5 on: 15 April 2012, 03:52 »
mk3's are cheap these days. Pretty much get them for free and then spend the real money repairing them. Some lady was trying to sell a non runner on ebay for £250 where the engine died a horrible death. I offered her £170 for the car (as a nice gesture as I needed some parts off of it and I figured the scrappy may give her £150 max as it was a non runner) She told me that the car was worth at least £250 and she would never sell the car to someone who wasn't looking to fix it up and drive it again.

They should meet each other and talk about how valuable a non running car or a  rotted out rust bucket is worth so much money. Then they can buy each other's cars and be so happy about their luck.

The amount of road tax and MOT test every year I pay is worth more than my golf I believe.

Now that is being realistic about the value of your car.

Offline leigh_harty

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,462
  • Audi AGU
Re: Is this guy serious?
« Reply #6 on: 15 April 2012, 04:22 »
Not even worth the hassle or price if you was a cracking fabricator with proper welding equipment!

Suppose it's got a few things worth selling? But still trying to push his luck I guess, why not eh  :grin:
Dont lose your dinosaur!

Gavv8

  • Guest
Re: Is this guy serious?
« Reply #7 on: 15 April 2012, 12:42 »
The only reason for running something like a mk3 thses days is because you love it and/or you can't afford anything better, i still think they are good value for money at the banger end of the market because you do get some level of quality and reliability even after almost 20 years which is something you can't say about similar fords/vauxhalls or anything french but there are good GTi's and Vr's out there for less than the price of a decent sofa and anyone who wants more is living in dreamland.

Offline gasketface

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,237

Gavv8

  • Guest
Re: Is this guy serious?
« Reply #9 on: 15 April 2012, 12:48 »
^The price is more sensible but it's still got some potentially serious mechanical issues and to be honest unless you really love being up to your armpits in engine all the time whats the point.