Author Topic: Lumpy Idle  (Read 3560 times)

Offline ALTERNATOR

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 54
Lumpy Idle
« on: 14 April 2012, 19:55 »
Hello everyone :smiley:

My first post on here. Hope it's going to be usefull.
Well, where should I begin. 5 months ago I bought my first car. It's a golf GTI 2.0 8v ADY. When I bought the thing I knew I was in for some work. Since I bought it I changed: Timing+tensioner, all filters+fluids and plugs. Well, as the title suggests, it's got a damn lumpy idle. The needle isn't really searching or bouncing, but you can feel the engine galloping. The fuel consumption isn't at it's best either. I would like some simple steps that would help me diagnose the thing. I have had it scanned and the only thing out of order was the hall sensor. The reading was too high. But that was done before I changed the timing so I can't really tell if I fixed that or not. Anyway, any other suggestions? Perhaps some ways to test the MAF, or spark plug leads or distribuitor or anything else that could cause this problem...

I would greatly appreciate it :sad:I'm almost ready to give up on the thing and just let it be.


Offline gti gaz

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 592
Re: Lumpy Idle
« Reply #1 on: 14 April 2012, 20:00 »
try cleaning the throttle body with a bit of carb cleaner and clean crank breather mine used to need doing about once a month
ecu relay maybe?





 Any one in cornwall lets sort more meets!!!!

Offline off_the_cuff

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 106
Re: Lumpy Idle
« Reply #2 on: 14 April 2012, 20:03 »
To test the maf, disconnect it while the cars running, if its faulty the engine should improve, also check vacum hoses for leaks and clean throttle body and idle control valve
thats all iv got lol

Offline javalin

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,457
Re: Lumpy Idle
« Reply #3 on: 14 April 2012, 20:20 »
wiring loom in the engine bay, coolant temp sensor or blocked exhaust?  In no particular order, cts seems a good start though - does the temp gauge work?  90c?
You only ever need two tools in life. If it moves and it shouldn't use Duct Tape. If it does not move and it should, use WD40.

Offline ALTERNATOR

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 54
Re: Lumpy Idle
« Reply #4 on: 14 April 2012, 20:44 »
Well, let me cover everything :grin:

The TB has been cleand very thoroughly.
Crank breather has been taken off and sprayed with some rubbing alcohool. Got some of the black stuff out, don;t know if all of it.
If I disconnect the MAF, it just runs like usual. What vacum hoses should I check? I'm not sure I know all of them.
The coolant temp sensor works(90C). Don't really know what to say about the exhaust.

Could be ECU related...I don't really know. First off, I'll try checking the vacum hoses. Which are the ones I should check?
Also, where is the idle control valve located? I haven't cleaned it yet, so why not.

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: Lumpy Idle
« Reply #5 on: 14 April 2012, 20:46 »
Check all your breather hoses as well.

Offline ALTERNATOR

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 54
Re: Lumpy Idle
« Reply #6 on: 14 April 2012, 20:51 »
The breather hose is new, the old one had a gaping hole in it :grin:

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: Lumpy Idle
« Reply #7 on: 14 April 2012, 20:59 »
The breather hose is new, the old one had a gaping hole in it :grin:

Is the seal around where the breather housing fits all ok.

Offline ALTERNATOR

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 54
Re: Lumpy Idle
« Reply #8 on: 14 April 2012, 21:15 »
Hmmm, Think so. I pulled it out when I cleaned the breather and it seemed fine.

Anyone know what other vacuum lines I should check?

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: Lumpy Idle
« Reply #9 on: 14 April 2012, 21:32 »
Hmmm, Think so. I pulled it out when I cleaned the breather and it seemed fine.

I would recheck it, they split really easy and it will not help your idle.