Author Topic: Mk4 2.8 engine swap?  (Read 2995 times)

Offline benvictors

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,172
  • bgk Tuning - coming soon!!!
Re: Mk4 2.8 engine swap?
« Reply #10 on: 13 April 2012, 22:19 »
mk4 2.8 24v engine, ecu, loom and fly by wire pedal
VR6 flywheel, clutch and gearbox
Mk3 engine mount brackets
VR6 loom

Will need the looms splicing but aint that hard if you can follow wiring diagrams, can even get the mfa working.
ECU will need de-immobilising and the fly by wire pedal will need a bracket making up.

If its a late spec 8v then the hydro clutch setup is needed, if its early spec then the pedalbox from a later spec is also needed

Actually an easier conversion than the 20v

If you would like a price for the job then pm me or Brad.

Also, in a mk3, with a remap, the 4mo engine will give you around 240bhp with about the same amount of torque
Turbo it and bye bye 1,8t  :grin: :grin:

Offline leigh_harty

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,462
  • Audi AGU
Re: Mk4 2.8 engine swap?
« Reply #11 on: 13 April 2012, 23:26 »
^ I like this guy  :grin:
Dont lose your dinosaur!

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: Mk4 2.8 engine swap?
« Reply #12 on: 14 April 2012, 00:01 »
Also, in a mk3, with a remap, the 4mo engine will give you around 240bhp with about the same amount of torque

Really, seems a lot from just a remap.

Offline benvictors

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,172
  • bgk Tuning - coming soon!!!
Re: Mk4 2.8 engine swap?
« Reply #13 on: 14 April 2012, 00:52 »
The mk4 4motion can be remapped to pretty much r32 spec with next to no work to the engine, take in to consideration the weight and lack of the pesky 4motion set up, and i have no doubt that a mk3 V6 24v could produce around the 240bhp mark  :shocked:

Offline tweed

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 5,377
Re: Mk4 2.8 engine swap?
« Reply #14 on: 14 April 2012, 09:57 »
Yeah man!!! I'm doing it  :grin:

Might get you to do the loom but I would like to do it myself. Clean the bay up etc  :smiley:

I'm happy about this.

Untitled by tweedub, on Flickr

Offline GTIANNIVERSARY16V

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 149
Re: Mk4 2.8 engine swap?
« Reply #15 on: 14 April 2012, 14:48 »
I'd go for the v6.
Turbo'd VW engines sound like washers in my opinon.

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: Mk4 2.8 engine swap?
« Reply #16 on: 14 April 2012, 20:42 »
Turbo'd VW engines sound like washers in my opinon.

That might be the case but they are still cheaper and easier to get more power from against a VR

Offline GTIANNIVERSARY16V

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 149
Re: Mk4 2.8 engine swap?
« Reply #17 on: 14 April 2012, 22:30 »
Turbo the vr xD

Offline tweed

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 5,377
Re: Mk4 2.8 engine swap?
« Reply #18 on: 14 April 2012, 22:48 »
The 1.8t is better for bang for buck but a vr is just plain cool  :cool:

Doubt I will turbo it maybe years after but they look so clean without a turbo


Untitled by tweedub, on Flickr