Author Topic: Mk4 2.8 engine swap?  (Read 2999 times)

Offline tweed

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 5,377
Mk4 2.8 engine swap?
« on: 13 April 2012, 16:00 »
Want to know how much work it is?

The 20vt is really common now so plenty of info for that swap. and seams easy.

But I want to swap my BMW for a 4motion so I can put the lump in my 8v. I also got a vr6 to take parts from like gearbox etc.

Anyone help me out here?

Untitled by tweedub, on Flickr

Offline leigh_harty

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,462
  • Audi AGU
Re: Mk4 2.8 engine swap?
« Reply #1 on: 13 April 2012, 16:13 »
If your keeping it 2wd would all the hassle be worth an extra 30ish bhp?

Id be interested to know whats involved though because ive never seen it done and you keep that burble  :evil:
Dont lose your dinosaur!

Offline Dogbot

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 431
Re: Mk4 2.8 engine swap?
« Reply #2 on: 13 April 2012, 16:17 »
Anything is possible mate,

one of our mates is still working up his polo 6n, he's somehow managed to put an S3 engine & 4wd system into it.... lots of fabricating involved but its being done....

Offline tweed

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 5,377
Re: Mk4 2.8 engine swap?
« Reply #3 on: 13 April 2012, 16:23 »
8v 115bhp
2.8 24v 204bhp
that will give much more power gains when played with than a 12v. Hell yeah it's worth it. 12v vr is old trash mate. It's all about 24v and a turbo  :evil:


I will keep all the running gear, sensors, loom etc when I decide to make it 4wd. Just ain't got the space for that sort of work yet.

Hopefully he will swap as his car didn't even get a bid. If not I sell the BMW and buy one, but if it's a total ball ache I'll just buy a new kart chassis, but I really want a 24v.

Untitled by tweedub, on Flickr

Offline Dan_GTi8v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,904
Re: Mk4 2.8 engine swap?
« Reply #4 on: 13 April 2012, 17:17 »
lots of work for 204bhp, I have close if not more than that in the 1.8t. not sure how tunable the 4motion engine is though?

guessing here but I'd imagine the hardest parts would be mounting the engine so it sat right and sorting out the wiring loom. the 20vt is so easy because the mounting points are in the same places and the wiring is well documented, everything else is simple. If its a 4wd I dont know about this but you may also have trouble finding a fwd gearbox that fits?
20vt conversion, sig pic coming soon!

Build thread http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=167291.0

Offline tweed

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 5,377
Re: Mk4 2.8 engine swap?
« Reply #5 on: 13 April 2012, 17:36 »
Gearbox? I thought a vr fits?

Forget bhp figures this thread ain't about power. (yet) I just want to know roughly what is involved like you say dan with mounting the engine. Loom can't be much different from the 20vt.
Make a hybrid from mk3 and mk4. I will have to pay someone for that as that side of things is not my strong point, where as fabricating is and I have friends with good fab and welding skills.


To be honest even if there isn't enough info on this and I do swap or buy a 4mo I will start it regardless  :grin:

How hard can it be  :lipsrsealed: going to put the BMW on eBay next week if this bloke doesn't get back to me.

Untitled by tweedub, on Flickr

Offline leigh_harty

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,462
  • Audi AGU
Re: Mk4 2.8 engine swap?
« Reply #6 on: 13 April 2012, 18:02 »
Stick the beemer engine in..... saying that it probably wont fit   :tongue:

I only see the 4mo transpant being a worthwhile project if its staying 4mo if you get me, otherwise its just a glorified vr6 with more sensors  :grin: :grin:

That said though the noise will still be there and you wont be a 1.8t sheep  :wink:
Dont lose your dinosaur!

Offline tweed

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 5,377
Re: Mk4 2.8 engine swap?
« Reply #7 on: 13 April 2012, 18:32 »
If I'm honest I want it for the noise, not the power. And vr6 12v swap is to easy  :grin:

I want the sound and like the look of the engine so much more than the 12v. I want to go to a show and stand out a little.

If I wanted power I would get a tfsi lump from a mk6.

Plus the 24v is better on fuel  :grin:

Untitled by tweedub, on Flickr

Offline mrsaunders

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 575
Re: Mk4 2.8 engine swap?
« Reply #8 on: 13 April 2012, 19:40 »
do it, like you said the 1.8t con is so common, be nice to see something new, and it will sound lovely

Offline F17BAD

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,225
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
Re: Mk4 2.8 engine swap?
« Reply #9 on: 13 April 2012, 20:59 »
its not hard to do at all

i have a mate with same engine in his MK2

go for it  :smiley:
  


Not no ordinary GTI....

House classics and Techno mixes:
https://soundcloud.com/bradkells
www.mixcloud.com/kells/