Author Topic: Mk3 Gti 8v 5000rpm  (Read 2738 times)

Offline Kelvin.bagged

  • Just got here
  • *
  • Posts: 4
Mk3 Gti 8v 5000rpm
« on: 13 April 2012, 09:07 »
Hello all

I have a 8v Gti mk3, just bought it n I noticed this morning that it only revs to 4700-5000k rpm, done a Lil research on google n it's meant to be dizzy timing. Does this sound correct? And what is the best way to sort it out?

Kelvin

Offline Deano2711

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,874
  • 1992 VR6
Re: Mk3 Gti 8v 5000rpm
« Reply #1 on: 13 April 2012, 09:12 »
5k limit means it is in safe mode which is either a timing issue or hall sender fault. Best to do a fault code scan first and then think about either replacing the dizzy which is easier than the hall sender or adjusting the timing. Not a major problem either way  :cool:

Offline Kelvin.bagged

  • Just got here
  • *
  • Posts: 4
Re: Mk3 Gti 8v 5000rpm
« Reply #2 on: 13 April 2012, 09:21 »
It's had a new dizzy within the last 18months from vw, so do you think it could be a case of just adjusting the dizzy?

Offline gti gaz

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 592
Re: Mk3 Gti 8v 5000rpm
« Reply #3 on: 13 April 2012, 09:57 »
Dizzy or hall as above run a code reader on it mine was the same so replaced both





 Any one in cornwall lets sort more meets!!!!

Offline dom

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 10,083
  • Back in a Mk4
Re: Mk3 Gti 8v 5000rpm
« Reply #4 on: 13 April 2012, 10:07 »
First step is the check the timing, has it had a cambelt change recently? I might be that the belt was put back on a tooth out.

If the timing is ok then it is likely to be the hall sensor, I ended up buying a reconditioned dizzy with brand new sender and it solved the problem for me.

Offline Kelvin.bagged

  • Just got here
  • *
  • Posts: 4
Re: Mk3 Gti 8v 5000rpm
« Reply #5 on: 13 April 2012, 10:23 »
It's had a new dizzy n a new cam belt water pump etc. so if I get the timing gun n check my timing, do you think adjusting the dizzy may solve it? Before I go down the road of diagnostics?

Kelvin

Offline javalin

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,457
Re: Mk3 Gti 8v 5000rpm
« Reply #6 on: 13 April 2012, 10:40 »
you don't need a timing light for the mk3.  Look at the recent posts and there are links to the correct setup....

James
You only ever need two tools in life. If it moves and it shouldn't use Duct Tape. If it does not move and it should, use WD40.

Offline Deano2711

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,874
  • 1992 VR6
Re: Mk3 Gti 8v 5000rpm
« Reply #7 on: 13 April 2012, 11:03 »
An 18 month old dizzy could still have a faulty hall sender as the wiring gets brittle. I would run a fault code scanner to check and then as said it's easier to change the complete dizzy. Mine has a hall sender fault code so I have just bought a new dizzy for mine.

Offline javalin

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,457
Re: Mk3 Gti 8v 5000rpm
« Reply #8 on: 13 April 2012, 11:28 »
disagree - get it set correctly and if its still wrong then look at repair/replacement options.  Setup is FAR easier than replacing the whole unit!
You only ever need two tools in life. If it moves and it shouldn't use Duct Tape. If it does not move and it should, use WD40.

Offline Deano2711

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,874
  • 1992 VR6
Re: Mk3 Gti 8v 5000rpm
« Reply #9 on: 13 April 2012, 12:04 »
disagree - get it set correctly and if its still wrong then look at repair/replacement options.  Setup is FAR easier than replacing the whole unit!

My advice was to check for fault codes not to just replace parts  :cool: