Author Topic: Bora/Beetle black steelies on MK3...  (Read 3265 times)

Offline evereddy

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 47
Bora/Beetle black steelies on MK3...
« on: 12 April 2012, 20:35 »
Hi guys...

Currently got some VR6 BBS's on my dark green gti...which i'm kind of getting bored of.

For some really peculiar reason I really like the thought of some 16"  standard black steel wheels on my golf.  I'm not looking for a 'rat' look or anything that extreme, more an understated 'sleeper' style...

would the wider 16" beetle/bora steelies just fit straight on?  I don't want anything like the skinny silver steels off a mk3 1.6 or a GL.  I want the car to look tough!

what other 'modern' steel wheels would fit?

anyone got any pics? cant find much on the web?


Offline tweed

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 5,377
Re: Bora/Beetle black steelies on MK3...
« Reply #1 on: 12 April 2012, 21:38 »
They will fit straight on with a smaller tyre. 195/45/16  :wink:

Untitled by tweedub, on Flickr

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: Bora/Beetle black steelies on MK3...
« Reply #2 on: 12 April 2012, 22:12 »
As tweed said you will need to change the tyres.

Offline thai-wronghorse

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,325
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
Re: Bora/Beetle black steelies on MK3...
« Reply #3 on: 12 April 2012, 23:35 »
I had some black 16'' Beetle steelies on my last mk3 briefly which coincidentally was also dragon green. They suited it very well actually.

Offline jinx

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 14
Re: Bora/Beetle black steelies on MK3...
« Reply #4 on: 13 April 2012, 13:56 »
Are there any 17" steels that will fit a MK3 ?
I was considering a set for winter tyres on mine,  but they have to fit over R32 brakes, and i dunno if 16" will

Offline thai-wronghorse

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,325
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
Re: Bora/Beetle black steelies on MK3...
« Reply #5 on: 13 April 2012, 15:07 »
R32 brakes are 312mm aren't they? Should just be enough room with 16" wheels

Offline Dan_GTi8v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,904
Re: Bora/Beetle black steelies on MK3...
« Reply #6 on: 13 April 2012, 15:10 »
16s fit over 312mm brakes :)
20vt conversion, sig pic coming soon!

Build thread http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=167291.0

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: Bora/Beetle black steelies on MK3...
« Reply #7 on: 14 April 2012, 00:05 »
R32 brakes are 312mm aren't they? Should just be enough room with 16" wheels

I think R32 is bigger, 323mm from memory.

Offline thai-wronghorse

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,325
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
Re: Bora/Beetle black steelies on MK3...
« Reply #8 on: 14 April 2012, 06:20 »
Oh really, could be a problem to fit 16's then if that's the case.

Offline dom

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 10,083
  • Back in a Mk4
Re: Bora/Beetle black steelies on MK3...
« Reply #9 on: 14 April 2012, 07:59 »
R32 brakes are 312mm aren't they? Should just be enough room with 16" wheels

I think R32 is bigger, 323mm from memory.

Correct :wink: