Author Topic: Anyone lowered just 40mm?... Pics?  (Read 3657 times)

Offline SCO_VAG

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 55
  • www.ScottishVag.com
Anyone lowered just 40mm?... Pics?
« on: 12 April 2012, 20:30 »
Alrite guys! the reason I ask is that I had a slammed 6n and it was quite horrible to drive but looked nice lol.. Dont really want to go down the same route for my Mk3, just looking to stiffen her up a bit :tongue:.


Thought a good 40mm spring n shock kit should do the trick? Or mabey 60/40 not sure, just dont want it to rub atall or the deep splitter to be too low for speedbumps :embarassed:


Anyone willing to share their lows so Ive got a rough idea! Sitting on BBS Rx2s.


Cheers, John.

« Last Edit: 12 April 2012, 20:34 by SCO_VAG »

Offline boneybradley

  • Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • *****
  • Posts: 9,482
  • Back in a Mk3...
Re: Anyone lowered just 40mm?... Pics?
« Reply #1 on: 12 April 2012, 21:51 »
40mm in this thread (without the rx's) http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=68845.0
Moderator of The Dub-Tug Squad!! (What some call the MK3 section!)



Full range of quality parts for your Volkswagen available at Oemandmore.co.uk

Offline gizmomk3

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 300
  • on my way
Re: Anyone lowered just 40mm?... Pics?
« Reply #2 on: 12 April 2012, 22:06 »
I'm dropping my little mk3 40mm next weekend iv got 13inc wheels (yes 13) and the car will sit level with the top of my wheel

Offline boneybradley

  • Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • *****
  • Posts: 9,482
  • Back in a Mk3...
Re: Anyone lowered just 40mm?... Pics?
« Reply #3 on: 12 April 2012, 22:12 »
I'm dropping my little mk3 40mm next weekend iv got 13inc wheels (yes 13) and the car will sit level with the top of my wheel

check my thread....mine was 40mm (but with new shocks) and it wasn't nearly enough! (and no where near level with my tyres)
Moderator of The Dub-Tug Squad!! (What some call the MK3 section!)



Full range of quality parts for your Volkswagen available at Oemandmore.co.uk

Offline thai-wronghorse

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,325
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
Re: Anyone lowered just 40mm?... Pics?
« Reply #4 on: 12 April 2012, 23:42 »
Mine is approximately 40mm lower than standard ride height on Eibach Sportline springs and Weitec shortened struts (adjustable spring cups on rear). With the standard 15'' Longbeach alloys it didn't seem quite enough but with my current 16'' BBS RX's which fill the arches better i'd say it was just about right for a daily driven family car without looking like a scared cat.
I think de-arch trimming it also helped to remove the illusion that it was sitting higher than it actually was as well due to having less black around the arch / tyre line.
« Last Edit: 12 April 2012, 23:46 by thai-wronghorse »

Offline SCO_VAG

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 55
  • www.ScottishVag.com
Re: Anyone lowered just 40mm?... Pics?
« Reply #5 on: 13 April 2012, 00:39 »
Mine is approximately 40mm lower than standard ride height on Eibach Sportline springs and Weitec shortened struts (adjustable spring cups on rear). With the standard 15'' Longbeach alloys it didn't seem quite enough but with my current 16'' BBS RX's which fill the arches better i'd say it was just about right for a daily driven family car without looking like a scared cat.
I think de-arch trimming it also helped to remove the illusion that it was sitting higher than it actually was as well due to having less black around the arch / tyre line.


Thanks for the reply man! Sounds like a good shock/spring pairing. Does it handle well?

Offline Dan_GTi8v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,904
Re: Anyone lowered just 40mm?... Pics?
« Reply #6 on: 13 April 2012, 12:33 »
mine is dropped 40mm, though I have no recent pics I can say that with a vr front splitter it sits just high enough to clear the square type speed bumps (the ones you can just get the tyres either side of) and scrapes ever so slightly when coming out of my works car park ramp, so I'd say if you want a daily driver that you dont need to worry about catching stuff on the 'great' British roads 40mm is the way to go

I run 16s with 45 profiles

Kit I have is a Wietec ultra GT and it drives like its on rails  :cool: getting a good quality kit is a must none of this £100 ebay coilover kit b0llocks
« Last Edit: 13 April 2012, 12:35 by Dan_GTi8v »
20vt conversion, sig pic coming soon!

Build thread http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=167291.0

Offline SCO_VAG

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 55
  • www.ScottishVag.com
Re: Anyone lowered just 40mm?... Pics?
« Reply #7 on: 13 April 2012, 12:44 »
mine is dropped 40mm, though I have no recent pics I can say that with a vr front splitter it sits just high enough to clear the square type speed bumps (the ones you can just get the tyres either side of) and scrapes ever so slightly when coming out of my works car park ramp, so I'd say if you want a daily driver that you dont need to worry about catching stuff on the 'great' British roads 40mm is the way to go

I run 16s with 45 profiles

Kit I have is a Wietec ultra GT and it drives like its on rails  :cool: getting a good quality kit is a must none of this £100 ebay coilover kit b0llocks


Cheers for replying mate! Think a good 40mm kit it is then.

Offline Screech16v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,432
  • MK3 20vt AGU
Re: Anyone lowered just 40mm?... Pics?
« Reply #8 on: 13 April 2012, 18:39 »
Not the best pics but 40mm and rx  :smiley:


Offline kahunajb

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 331
Re: Anyone lowered just 40mm?... Pics?
« Reply #9 on: 13 April 2012, 18:51 »
That looks spot on to me. In the process of fitting mine at the moment.
Mk1 Leon Cupra TDI - Keeping
Mk5 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 1 - FOR SALE £5,250
Mk3 GTI 16v Anniversary - OEM+ - Gone :(
Mk4 GTI 2.0 - Slow - Good Riddance