Author Topic: Camber setting  (Read 1568 times)

Offline gizmomk3

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 300
  • on my way
Camber setting
« on: 11 April 2012, 20:50 »
Changing the front struts on my mk3 at t weekend I no I will have to get the tracking done but what is the camber setting and how do you set it ??

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: Camber setting
« Reply #1 on: 11 April 2012, 21:00 »
Find someone that can check both camber and tracking.

Offline gasketface

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,237
Re: Camber setting
« Reply #2 on: 12 April 2012, 10:39 »
Do'nt lower too much as the camber/tracking people wo'nt be able to fit their setting up equipment on it if it's too low.

Offline Rmachines

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,901
  • Passat 20vT Estate and Candy White MK3 1.8 GL
Re: Camber setting
« Reply #3 on: 12 April 2012, 12:27 »
I use a small camber meter, which hooks on the wheel, its simple, and really hard to adjust as the wheel needs to be off to get to the bolts ideally, but i nip them up just enough so i can move the camber with a bit of force, works well and most places carry a hand held camber meter.
10 golfs and counting! 

Engine cranes = the ultimate tool to test the tensile strength of Everything you didn't disconnect!


Offline gizmomk3

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 300
  • on my way
Re: Camber setting
« Reply #4 on: 12 April 2012, 14:44 »
I have found the camber tool on eBay if I was to win it is it east to set or is it best to got it done in the garage ??

Offline tweed

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 5,377
Re: Camber setting
« Reply #5 on: 12 April 2012, 15:51 »
I find pushing the top of wheel all the way in (max negative camber) gives me even tyre wear. It's the first thing I do when I buy a mk3.

If it's at standard hight I still get more wear on the outside edge even with all the negative camber  :grin:

I can't be the only one?
« Last Edit: 12 April 2012, 15:57 by tweed »

Untitled by tweedub, on Flickr

Offline javalin

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,457
Re: Camber setting
« Reply #6 on: 12 April 2012, 15:55 »
get a tyre place with the laser computer alignment jobby to do it - then its within 0.1 degree's etc.

Worth having camber and toe done.

James
You only ever need two tools in life. If it moves and it shouldn't use Duct Tape. If it does not move and it should, use WD40.

Offline Rmachines

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,901
  • Passat 20vT Estate and Candy White MK3 1.8 GL
Re: Camber setting
« Reply #7 on: 12 April 2012, 17:00 »
You can run with the MK3 at full negative camber, the adjustment is minimal anyway, Its usually the front toe alignment that will do the tyres in,  Of course bad camber doesn't help  :grin:
10 golfs and counting! 

Engine cranes = the ultimate tool to test the tensile strength of Everything you didn't disconnect!