Author Topic: Anbody fit a vinyl roof or carbon wrap one with a sunroof ?  (Read 2929 times)

Offline gasketface

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,237
Hi all.Just wondering if any of you have carbon wrapped a mk3 roof or fitted a vinyl to one that has a sunroof.

I'm on my second attempt as rained heavily as i was finishing my forst go and water ruined it.While i'm waiting on more carbon wrap i'm pondering what to do about the sunroof aperture.

Years ago (my first job) i used to fit sunroofs,vinyl roofs etc.When it came to fitting a vinyl on to a car with an inbuilt glass sunroof we also had to fit a thinner strip to the edge of the panel to allow for the thickness of the vinyl,so it would'nt bind.After removing (and now refitting) my sunroof i can see that the panel is quite a tight fit and i'm concerned that after fitting the carbon wrap my panel is going to be tight and maybe foul the vinyl.

So,has anyone else encountered this problem ?.

If so,any tips ?.

I'm thinking of sanding down the strip all the way around or maybe replacing it with something else ????.

Thanks.

Offline shelaghmk3gti

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 435
Re: Anbody fit a vinyl roof or carbon wrap one with a sunroof ?
« Reply #1 on: 11 April 2012, 19:33 »
easy.. get your crayons out....... :grin: tit for tat now done!

Offline gasketface

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,237
Re: Anbody fit a vinyl roof or carbon wrap one with a sunroof ?
« Reply #2 on: 11 April 2012, 19:36 »
I'm not allowed crayons,my nurse says they can be dangerous.Ca'nt draw anyway with this jacket on  :laugh:

Offline shelaghmk3gti

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 435
Re: Anbody fit a vinyl roof or carbon wrap one with a sunroof ?
« Reply #3 on: 11 April 2012, 19:42 »
aww bless ya feked!!
 on a more civil note theres a thread on it either here or on... oh i think its youtube
its not so hard as you think..... its here!!
its a guy charged £50 i cant rem witch section ( and he had done sunroof)

Offline Deano2711

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,874
  • 1992 VR6
Re: Anbody fit a vinyl roof or carbon wrap one with a sunroof ?
« Reply #4 on: 11 April 2012, 19:57 »
I had my old Golf done and that had a sunroof fitted. A chap on here did mine for 35 quid. He applied the vinyl to the roof and trimmed around the outer edge of the sunroof seal. Then he applied the vinyl to the sunroof glass and trimmed around the inner edge of the sunroof seal. This way my glass was hidden under the vinyl and looked like a complete roof.

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: Anbody fit a vinyl roof or carbon wrap one with a sunroof ?
« Reply #5 on: 11 April 2012, 20:57 »
I had mine done by a local signwriting company.


Offline search

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 898
Re: Anbody fit a vinyl roof or carbon wrap one with a sunroof ?
« Reply #6 on: 11 April 2012, 21:46 »
I had mine done by a local signwriting company.



Thats very nice. im thinking of wrapping my roof just black. but after my epic fail on tinting my windows might pay for it to be done.
Golf mk3 1.4 (sold)
Golf mk2 1.3 (sold)
Golf mk3 1.6