Author Topic: wayward steering  (Read 2777 times)

Offline biddy

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 26
wayward steering
« on: 09 April 2012, 15:50 »
hi all bit of a prob on my gti trying to steer in straight line then all off a sudden car just wanders either left or right as it pleases also  noticed when turning sometimes steering goes stiff any ideas
cheers

Offline Edwh0re

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 399
Re: wayward steering
« Reply #1 on: 09 April 2012, 16:03 »
Its likely that you have a bush (or bushes) up front that are perished.  You need to get underneath the car and check for play...

Also while the car is up in the air, check that there is no horizontal/lateral play in the wheels that could indicate knackered wheel bearings, although I would have thought you would hear this humming.

As for the stiffness of the steering, have you checked power steering fluid levels recently?

Offline biddy

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 26
Re: wayward steering
« Reply #2 on: 09 April 2012, 17:33 »
hi checked the fluid all is ok there not doing it all the time, also when it decides to go off line steering feels slightly stiff then

Offline mrsaunders

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 575
Re: wayward steering
« Reply #3 on: 09 April 2012, 18:48 »
Is there any crunching noise coming from the footwell?

Offline Screech16v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,432
  • MK3 20vt AGU
Re: wayward steering
« Reply #4 on: 09 April 2012, 19:19 »
Is there any crunching noise coming from the footwell?
I had this whilst coming back from morrisons,diagnosis was a packet of wotsits under me pedal  :laugh:

Offline tweed

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 5,377
Re: wayward steering
« Reply #5 on: 09 April 2012, 20:24 »
Is there any crunching noise coming from the footwell?

Iv got these symptoms what should I look at when I get time?

Untitled by tweedub, on Flickr

Offline biddy

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 26
Re: wayward steering
« Reply #6 on: 09 April 2012, 20:38 »
no crunching from footwell and no wotsits

Offline Screech16v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,432
  • MK3 20vt AGU
Re: wayward steering
« Reply #7 on: 09 April 2012, 20:46 »
I would be looking at top mounts and ball joints ,track rod ends,wheelbearings and as said all the bushings,just go through the lot mate.

Gavv8

  • Guest
Re: wayward steering
« Reply #8 on: 09 April 2012, 20:57 »
I get a bit of this if i really boot it and it's an 8v so it's not torque steer..... :grin:

Offline Screech16v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,432
  • MK3 20vt AGU
Re: wayward steering
« Reply #9 on: 09 April 2012, 21:58 »
I get a bit of this if i really boot it and it's an 8v so it's not torque steer..... :grin:
8V are torque monsters compared to a valver  :laugh: