Author Topic: did you fit your coilovers yourself?  (Read 12681 times)

Offline search

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 898
did you fit your coilovers yourself?
« on: 07 April 2012, 21:22 »
I'v found loads of DIY and got an idea on how to do it but doing it is another thing lol.

Today i rounded off one allen key and might of rounded of my spanner.

i don't have power tools so have to try it the hard way. thing is my front left top mount allen key size is different its a 6mm and the left is a 7mm as its meant to be so not sure if the nut is a different size. its hard to tell as iv only got a 22mm spanner and it just about fits at an arkward angle lol.


anyways interested to hear how you guys went about it.

(i'm just trying to loosen the top mount nut before taking the wheel off this should be ok right?)
Golf mk3 1.4 (sold)
Golf mk2 1.3 (sold)
Golf mk3 1.6

Offline murraymint

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,022
Re: did you fit your coilovers yourself?
« Reply #1 on: 07 April 2012, 21:33 »
swan neck spanners will help ALOT!! and yh i fitted mine myself, a set on my mk3 will the help of an impact gun, and a set on a clio using good old brute force.
josh


95 Mk3 golf 1.6 CL, 96 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 89 Mk2 Jetta GL,  97 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 99 bora 2ltr se, 83 mk1 golf 1.1, 15 polo 1.2 tsi

Offline search

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 898
Re: did you fit your coilovers yourself?
« Reply #2 on: 07 April 2012, 21:37 »
ill go look for a swan neck tomorrow. its an easy job and id like to do it myself (with help of a friend lol) any tips on how to keep the allen key still?
Golf mk3 1.4 (sold)
Golf mk2 1.3 (sold)
Golf mk3 1.6

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: did you fit your coilovers yourself?
« Reply #3 on: 07 April 2012, 22:14 »
I did mine with a spark plug socket and a 7mm allen key.

Offline Deano2711

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,874
  • 1992 VR6
Re: did you fit your coilovers yourself?
« Reply #4 on: 07 April 2012, 22:37 »
I fitted my own and found it loads easier by going to your local tyre bay and getting them to undo the four top nuts with their air gun. Then return home and fit the new coilovers and when finished return to the tyre bay and bung them a drink to tighten them back up with the air gun. Once these are cracked then fitting the coilovers is a real easy job and takes about 2/3 hours from start to finish with a tea break  :wink: :wink:

Offline leigh_harty

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,462
  • Audi AGU
Re: did you fit your coilovers yourself?
« Reply #5 on: 08 April 2012, 08:28 »
Use a spanner on the allen key for that extra leverage if your having trouble keeping hold, they can get stiff as hell after the years
Dont lose your dinosaur!

Offline mrsaunders

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 575
Re: did you fit your coilovers yourself?
« Reply #6 on: 08 April 2012, 10:41 »
I did mine with a spark plug socket and a 7mm allen key.

thats how i done mine second time round, cant do the backs though because my f**king locking wheel nut snaped in the back wheel  :angry:
anyone know where to get a new 3 pin one?

Offline Deano2711

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,874
  • 1992 VR6
Re: did you fit your coilovers yourself?
« Reply #7 on: 08 April 2012, 12:50 »
Local tyre bays will be able to remove them. I paid £5 to have mine removed.

Offline tweed

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 5,377
Re: did you fit your coilovers yourself?
« Reply #8 on: 08 April 2012, 13:44 »
I soaked the nuts over night with wd40. I then got a ring spanner and a 7mm Allen key with a long handle.


Research what you need for the job before you attempt to do it. 

Untitled by tweedub, on Flickr

Offline search

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 898
Re: did you fit your coilovers yourself?
« Reply #9 on: 08 April 2012, 17:43 »
oh yeah i know what im doing looked in to it and everything, but just doing it is a b!tch might go to a tyre place tomorrow like suggested. one of mine is a 6mm allen key very strange. Thinking of using a spark plug socket and vice grips. went to bnQ today to find out they are shut.
Golf mk3 1.4 (sold)
Golf mk2 1.3 (sold)
Golf mk3 1.6