Author Topic: 8v Gti Engine oil temp/oil cooler.  (Read 5728 times)

Offline tweed

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 5,377
Re: 8v Gti Engine oil temp/oil cooler.
« Reply #10 on: 26 March 2012, 10:19 »
Saturday I drove from rye house to where I live. Hour driving on motorway doing 70/80. Outside temp was 20 car was at 88. That's my 8v gti. MPG was 38

Untitled by tweedub, on Flickr

Offline WadGTI

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 461
  • Golf GTI'er
Re: 8v Gti Engine oil temp/oil cooler.
« Reply #11 on: 26 March 2012, 12:30 »
My 8v @ 130k miles runs between 92 - 104 average - alot of motorway miles/ However, the oil cooler is doing its job as the tempure does drop back down to the 90's

Offline MK3 Menace

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 336
  • 98 GTI, big changes are coming...
Re: 8v Gti Engine oil temp/oil cooler.
« Reply #12 on: 26 March 2012, 13:41 »
I drove my 8v at 135k from Milton Keynes to Reading and back this weekend over M1/M4 etc.

After reading this thread I kept an eye on the oil temps.

On way it was 19 outside and highest reading I got was 98 and that was after a long blast at 80/90.

On way back I took my time and averaged around 70mph and it was ay 92.

I have a spare oil cooler you can try if you are near Milton Keynes.

andy.cowman

  • Guest
Re: 8v Gti Engine oil temp/oil cooler.
« Reply #13 on: 29 May 2012, 21:18 »
Sorry to bring this back up - I don't often end up on here (sold my own GTI a few years back) but when ever my girlfriends car has an issue I find here very useful. It is a mk3 8v gti 135000 on the clock.

I have been watching the oil temps on it and worrying they run high. On a 85 mph run she gets up to 104 - 108 depedning on external temps (sub zero on way to alps to ski barely over 100, hot run the other night 108 tops with speeds heading north a bit!)

Glad to here this doesnt appear to be unusual. The oil cooler works as when you ease of the temp drops quite quickly. Replaced the oil breather hoses the other day and that certainly made a difference as before the same 85 plus peaked over 110 on occasion.

Car runs fine except a 5k rpm issues (suspected hal sensor) and averages 35mpg on fast A road driving commute. Glad to hear it appears normal!