Author Topic: Help with thermostat  (Read 1907 times)

Offline gtid4z

  • Just got here
  • *
  • Posts: 2
Help with thermostat
« on: 29 February 2012, 09:32 »
Hi all im new to the site and was after a bit of help,

I have a mk3 gti 8v, had to change the thermostat, my bro stripped it and I put it back together and it’s leaking,
Problem being he forgot where the oring seal went, does it go between the thermostat and the block or between the thermostat and the plastic housing?

Offline thai-wronghorse

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,325
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
Re: Help with thermostat
« Reply #1 on: 29 February 2012, 10:10 »
The o ring should be between the thermostat and block iirc.
« Last Edit: 29 February 2012, 17:27 by thai-wronghorse »

Offline gtid4z

  • Just got here
  • *
  • Posts: 2
Re: Help with thermostat
« Reply #2 on: 29 February 2012, 10:37 »
Thanks for that mate,
That was where I put it so most likely to be the plastic housing iv ordered a new one from VW.

Offline Rmachines

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,901
  • Passat 20vT Estate and Candy White MK3 1.8 GL
Re: Help with thermostat
« Reply #3 on: 29 February 2012, 18:46 »
Plastic housing  :grin:  Yea.....  sounds about right  :wink:
10 golfs and counting! 

Engine cranes = the ultimate tool to test the tensile strength of Everything you didn't disconnect!


Offline Dan_GTi8v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,904
Re: Help with thermostat
« Reply #4 on: 01 March 2012, 13:34 »
on mine the o ring goes on top of the thermostat against the plastic housing. This is a 1.8t but I dont imagine the design is any different.
20vt conversion, sig pic coming soon!

Build thread http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=167291.0

Offline Bandit127

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 443
Re: Help with thermostat
« Reply #5 on: 06 June 2012, 06:46 »
(Sorry for the necropost but posting this in case this thread is picked up by someone doing a search).

Did mine this weekend (8V GTI) and the o-ring was definitely between the thermostat and the housing, not thermostat and block as was stated earlier.

Offline itavaltalainen

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,693
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
Re: Help with thermostat
« Reply #6 on: 06 June 2012, 08:19 »
Can only agree with Bandit, done a thermostat on my 2.0 once separately, another time changed the water pump.
You first put in the thermostat, then o-ring, then put the housing on.
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline thai-wronghorse

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,325
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
Re: Help with thermostat
« Reply #7 on: 06 June 2012, 09:41 »
Yeah that sounds right.

Offline mrsaunders

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 575
Re: Help with thermostat
« Reply #8 on: 06 June 2012, 09:50 »
Maybe Thai was thinking waterpump to block at the time?

Offline thai-wronghorse

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,325
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
Re: Help with thermostat
« Reply #9 on: 06 June 2012, 12:39 »
I think I must have been.  :embarassed: