Author Topic: 16V exhaust on an 8V  (Read 2603 times)

Offline Hongkongphooey

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 101
16V exhaust on an 8V
« on: 08 January 2012, 21:41 »
I know I posted something like this a while back but was hoping if someone could give me a simple answer on this exhaust issue.

I bought a stainless steel middle section and back box from a 16V (to put on my 8V). I've been told I need a 'reducer' that takes the diameter down slightly (from the 16V diameter to the 8V diameter)

The question is where do I get one from and how much is this likely to cost?

Ta

Offline clancy

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 505
Re: 16V exhaust on an 8V
« Reply #1 on: 08 January 2012, 21:46 »
call up any place that makes custom exhausts and explain what you want and theyll make or have one for you bud.

cost wise it depends if they need to make one or have an off the shelf. wont be a lot though
MK3 GTI 16v

Offline mk3.owner

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 223
Re: 16V exhaust on an 8V
« Reply #2 on: 09 January 2012, 00:41 »
call up any place that makes custom exhausts and explain what you want and theyll make or have one for you bud.

cost wise it depends if they need to make one or have an off the shelf. wont be a lot though

One of my mate's payed £39 + postage for a custom single into double with bigger diameter for a 2.3 turbo Saab. Can't see it being that much for 8v.. Ill try get detail's for you HongKongphooey

Offline Hongkongphooey

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 101
Re: 16V exhaust on an 8V
« Reply #3 on: 09 January 2012, 09:17 »
Cheers for that, any info you could send would be great mk3.

Clancy, will bear that in mind. It only needs to be done for its MOT in August so not in any immediate rush but would be good to get it sorted.

I'm not on here very often o if you see anything like this for sale anyone please let me know.

Much appreciated.

Tom

Offline beno88

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 33
Re: 16V exhaust on an 8V
« Reply #4 on: 09 January 2012, 09:22 »
What's are the diameters of the of the 8v and the 16v ? If your talking a 1/4 inch difference then take the 8v section of exhaust to an enginering shop and have them stretch the diameter out to meet the stainless of the 16v section. Or any good independent motor shop(not halfords or anyother big chain) shoud be abe to source you one.

Offline stainesy

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,442
  • im not a master debater but i'm a cunning linguist
Re: 16V exhaust on an 8V
« Reply #5 on: 09 January 2012, 09:38 »
You say you have the backbox and middle box. Do you also have the long strait bit of it that goes from middle box to cat? If so so go to a car parts place and but the Alsace that the 16v uses. And it will fit. As they both use a slave to fit the strait pipe to the cat. But the 8v just have a reduced end on it. If you go buy the slave for A 16v it will fit strait on. That's what I did when fitting my VR6 exhaust to me 8v.

Offline dom

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 10,083
  • Back in a Mk4
Re: 16V exhaust on an 8V
« Reply #6 on: 09 January 2012, 11:32 »
What's are the diameters of the of the 8v and the 16v ? If your talking a 1/4 inch difference then take the 8v section of exhaust to an enginering shop and have them stretch the diameter out to meet the stainless of the 16v section. Or any good independent motor shop(not halfords or anyother big chain) shoud be abe to source you one.

On both the 8v and 16v the pipe is 55mm when it exits the cat, on an 8v this reduces to 50mm between the cat and the middle box whereas the 16v remains at 55mm.

If you have the system from the cat back including the pipe to the middle box it will fit without a reducer. :wink:

Offline stainesy

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,442
  • im not a master debater but i'm a cunning linguist
Re: 16V exhaust on an 8V
« Reply #7 on: 09 January 2012, 11:57 »
That depends weather his strait pipe is short or long. I had 2 strait pipe both from vr6 one was shorter that the other. One I needed a sleeve to fit so I ended up fitting the long one and it hammered over the cat.

Offline Hongkongphooey

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 101
Re: 16V exhaust on an 8V
« Reply #8 on: 09 January 2012, 13:21 »
Thanks for the updates, I'll check out exactly what I have and post again later this week...I would upload a picture but really not sure how to do it, whenever I click on the 'Insert Image' icon it just comes up with this....

Offline Hongkongphooey

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 101
Re: 16V exhaust on an 8V
« Reply #9 on: 10 January 2012, 09:03 »
On both the 8v and 16v the pipe is 55mm when it exits the cat, on an 8v this reduces to 50mm between the cat and the middle box whereas the 16v remains at 55mm.

If you have the system from the cat back including the pipe to the middle box it will fit without a reducer. :wink:
[/quote]

Dom

I've checked the middle section and this includes both the short pipe that connects it to the back box and the long pipe from the middle section that links to the front of the car (I'm guessing this is what will ultimately attach to the cat). From my limited research on the web I think the system I've bought would be clased as 'Cat Back'.

So based on your advice above it seems that this wll be a direct fit.

Fingers crossed.

Tom