Author Topic: will there be any issues with this engine swap  (Read 5679 times)

VeeDubGTI16v

will there be any issues with this engine swap
« on: 01 December 2011, 19:05 »
A friend has a cabby that needs a new engine, its a 1.8 kjet b reg and he has found a good 1.8 from a scirocco but its on a carb atm (looks identical to the setup found on the mk2 drivers to me)

will there be any issues swapping all the injection stuff onto it? I can't think of any but thought I would double check!
« Last Edit: 02 December 2011, 06:47 by veedubgti16v »

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
Re: will there be any issues with this engine swap
« Reply #1 on: 02 December 2011, 09:54 »
A friend has a cabby that needs a new engine, its a 1.8 kjet b reg and he has found a good 1.8 from a scirocco but its on a carb atm (looks identical to the setup found on the mk2 drivers to me)

will there be any issues swapping all the injection stuff onto it? I can't think of any but thought I would double check!

The rocco will most likely have a EX engine and the golf will have a DX.  I believe the bottom ends are the same but there are slight differences in the heads.  I'm not 100% sure on the following but this is what I can remember from a similar situation many, many years ago.

I'm not confident that the carb manifold will mate up nicely to the DX head.
There are injector Holes on the DX head
The cams are different
The exhaust valves are larger on the DX Engine (2mm??)
« Last Edit: 03 December 2011, 14:26 by SoundillusioN »

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #2 on: 03 December 2011, 11:14 »
bugger, cheers Shaun

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #3 on: 03 December 2011, 14:30 »
bugger, cheers Shaun

Just edited my response slightly as I got my DX and EX mixed up in one of lines but im sure you got the jist.

What's actually gone on the GTi motor?
« Last Edit: 04 December 2011, 12:10 by SoundillusioN »

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #4 on: 03 December 2011, 16:44 »
The head gasket  :grin:

the thing is its been changed by the previous owner and its gone again so something's warped. (oil cooler changed as well so not that)

plus it sounds rough and I can't be arsed fixing it when a like for like engine swap is cheap and easy!

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #5 on: 03 December 2011, 20:53 »
theres a shirocco with a k-jet lum in it in the scrappy near me, if that helps your mate any more i can enquire on a price monday

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #6 on: 04 December 2011, 12:12 »
theres a shirocco with a k-jet lum in it in the scrappy near me, if that helps your mate any more i can enquire on a price monday

You and that bloomin scrappy....  :rolleyes: I need a yard like that near me!

The head gasket  :grin:

the thing is its been changed by the previous owner and its gone again so something's warped. (oil cooler changed as well so not that)

plus it sounds rough and I can't be arsed fixing it when a like for like engine swap is cheap and easy!

Typical...  :grin:
« Last Edit: 04 December 2011, 12:14 by SoundillusioN »

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #7 on: 04 December 2011, 12:53 »
cheers for the offer lemski, but I should be able to find one closer to home. Will probably get a mk2 lump for it

Offline Sam

• I live here
  • Sam I am
« Reply #8 on: 05 December 2011, 14:25 »
cheers for the offer lemski, but I should be able to find one closer to home. Will probably get a mk2 lump for it

Would be easier with a rocco possibly as they are based on a mk1 rather than mk2, pretty sure the entire front end is mk1  :smiley:

The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #9 on: 05 December 2011, 14:56 »

Would be easier with a rocco possibly as they are based on a mk1 rather than mk2, pretty sure the entire front end is mk1  :smiley:

Yeah the only major difference with mk2 engines is that the Intake manifold/plenum is the wrong way round forcing the metering head to be on the O/S instead of the N/S as on the MK1.