Poll

Type R or GT TDI?

Go for the Civic
16 (55.2%)
Keep the Golf
13 (44.8%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: To EP3 or not to EP3?  (Read 2105 times)

Offline _Adam_

• I live here
To EP3 or not to EP3?
« on: 28 November 2011, 10:47 »
im contemplating selling up the Diesel for a Civic Type R EP3 shape. wondering on people's opinions or experiences with Honda's?

It's not that i'm bored or anything is wrong, but it's quite unlike me to keep a car longer than a year and i've had the golf for 3! I have an urge to sell up and to be honest i miss the performance and sound of a good petrol engine.

Thoughts?  :undecided:

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
Re: To EP3 or not to EP3?
« Reply #1 on: 28 November 2011, 11:00 »
Drive one and see. You really are going to miss the torque of the diesel... you will have to rev the nuts off the civic to go anywhere.

Offline leigh_harty

• I live here
  • Audi AGU
« Reply #2 on: 28 November 2011, 16:23 »
Integra!  :cool:
Dont lose your dinosaur!

Offline PenguinGTI

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 28 November 2011, 17:04 »
I've voted for "Keep the Golf" purely because I don't think you should buy the Civic.

If you really fancy a change, then by all means go for it but I don't think you'll last long in an EP3 having come out of the diesel.

I've not got anything against Civic's - in fact I'd normally have said go for it - but I think if you're used to the strong pull of the diesel (and also the fuel consumption) then you're going to find the Type R engine very frustrating.

The biggest thing for me when I test drove one (albeit an FN2), was the actual need to drop down the gears to overtake things. On the twisties where you want to work through the box it's not an issue - actually more an incentive - but once you've had you're fun and want to just relax I found the engine didn't have the ability.

But, take a test drive and see what you think. It's you're cash and you're choice so don't limit yourself by what people say. :smiley:

Offline Mikester

• Forum addict
  • Civic Type R
« Reply #4 on: 28 November 2011, 17:49 »
I've owned an EP3 for the past 18months roughly.

Its fun to drive and handles well. The 0-60 is good and it pulls well through the gears. In the corners it is pretty good too. As said it lacks in torque as at the end of the day its a 2.0litre N/A.

To be honest though as a day to day car its not the best. The fuel consumption is pretty bad no matter how you drive it.

They have pretty much no mod cons other than Aircon which was optional.

Problem with hot hatchs is that they compromise between comforts/cruising with performance. The EP3 tilts a bit more towards performance and so suffers on refinements.

I would say buy it providing you dont do high miles each month and you will enjoy it.

Offline _Adam_

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 29 November 2011, 09:00 »
Thanks for the replies guys, very helpful, all though the voting being 50/50 is not lol.

Mikester -
when you say the fuel consumption is bad, could you give me an idea? like how many miles do you do to £10 fuel?

I understand that i will be sacrificing a lot of comfort, as the golf has all the usual extras except Highline, but i want the performance (and the noise  :embarassed:)

is there any alternative suggestions? i would love a DC5 as above but they are a bit out of my price range.  i was looking at a Clio 197 but the interior is horrible grey :sick:

also considered were small turbo hatches, like Ibiza Cupra, Polo GTI, or even a Corsa VXR :shocked:

Offline MK3GTI_16Valve

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 29 November 2011, 09:37 »
I'm i'n the same situation as you...looking at ep3, impreza's etc...keep going back to the cupra r as it ticks all the boxes for me...ep3 has all the power high up, impreza is expensive to insure and drinks fuel...cupra r has the torque low down and returns same mpg as my 16v...

Brian

Offline JulesS3

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 29 November 2011, 09:57 »
Cupra R is a good choice, just be aware they dont make 260bhp from a map as everyone makes out  :wink:

Offline Mikester

• Forum addict
  • Civic Type R
« Reply #8 on: 29 November 2011, 11:50 »
How many miles to £10? Haha!

I dont EVER "just put a tenner in" as it gets you know where these days.

I always fill it up which costs £60ish. I normally get 230-250miles to this roughly. That is a mix of motorway and country lanes. I very very very rarely drive in town or urban areas with traffic lights.
« Last Edit: 29 November 2011, 11:52 by Mikester »

Offline PenguinGTI

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 29 November 2011, 21:32 »
i would love a DC5 as above but they are a bit out of my price range. 

Would it not be wiser to hold onto the Golf for just that bit longer and save up in order to get the car you really want.  :undecided:

I was looking at a Clio 197 but the interior is horrible grey :sick:

Please no.  :sick:

also considered were small turbo hatches, like Ibiza Cupra, Polo GTI, or even a Corsa VXR :shocked:

Not a bad line-up to choose from. But if you're on a lowish budget then I think any Corsa VXR's within you're price range will either have been lemons or ragged to death. Perhaps better going for a tidier, although older, Cupra or GTI.