Author Topic: MK4 1.8t GTI - K04-001  (Read 7797 times)

Offline Scott D

• I live here
MK4 1.8t GTI - K04-001
« on: 18 October 2011, 03:17 »
Had my MK4 Golf for just over two years now which is the longest I've ever owned a car, odd as its been the most problematic, I bought it as standard and have done a few changes

I found the car at a VX dealer nearby in Blackburn and after test driving left a deposit collecting it a few days later driving home with a big grin spinning up the cheap sh*t linglong tyre's that was on while enjoying the low down grunt of a turbo having only previously driven N/A cars. Well spec'd with 180bhp, 6 speed box, 312mm & 256mm brakes, winter pack and lovely fake wooden trim  :sick:

Took only 3 weeks for the modding to start with a set of 18" OZ Superleggera's with decent tyres from a member on another forum.

Shortly followed by a stupidly overpriced pipe for sucking up water and making noise along with the essential 007p DV.

Just after XMAS the clutch and dual mass flywheel decided to sh!t itself which I was surprised at since car was only on a stage 1 remap and had only covered 36k however had already looking at upgrades considering the plans I had. 3 weeks later thanks to Mastercard back on the road with a sachs clutch and lightened single mass flywheel.

Recovering from the clutch and coming into spring the handling needed a bit of work as was under steering all over along with loads of bodyroll - Eibach RARB and 40mm Weitec suspension was fitted making a big difference and still practical. RARBs are a must for the MK4!

With that sorted attention was then on the wheels that had taken a battering over winter being only painted and 2x tyres needed replacing. Got them powder coated locally in gloss black along with a full set of Goodyear Eagle F1s

Oct 2010 was getting the car ready for stage II / custom mapping and fitted an oil catch can, TIP before driving down to R-Tech for a full turbo-back milltek tech exhaust and custom map which resulted in 233bhp and 240 lb-ft along with launch control. A world of difference from the generic map that was previously on and good to have a half decent noise coming from the back.

A few weeks later the FMIC turned up almost 2 months after first ordering which was annoying having already had the mapping done but couldn't get time off work in November. Took a good few hours to fit and required quite a bit of the bumper cutting, had problems with boost leaking due to the poor AUM/AUQ charge pipe design using a c-clip connection that is poor and easily breakable which remained unfixed till the weather cleared up.

And pretty much as it stands now

Plans for the future are changing the suspension setup for probably Bilstein/Eibach, poly bushes all around, bodywork tidied up, LSD and either a K04-001 or possibly hybrid depending on options - aim is for around 260-270bhp and a decent torque figure which will be more than enough IMO
« Last Edit: 06 July 2012, 02:13 by Scott D »
2003 1.8T GTI 180 - APR Stage I, S2000 Filter, R-Tech Supersize TIP, Bilstein B12 Suspension, 18" OZ Superleggera, Recaro Heated Leathers, US Spec Rear Lights, N249/SAI/PCV Delete

1.8T AUQ - 241bhp & 286 ft-lb
R-Tech Map, Forge FMIC, SFS Oversized TIP, Ported Manifold, Milltek Turboback non res exhaust, Forge 007p, N249 & N112 delete, SAI delete, S2000 Air Filter, Sachs clutch & Lightweight Flywheel

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
Re: MK4 1.8t GTI 180
« Reply #1 on: 18 October 2011, 09:04 »
Awesome, epic work so far  :smiley:

Offline daz veedub

• Forum addict
  • Operation 1.8t bolf
« Reply #2 on: 18 October 2011, 10:03 »
looking sweet that mate

good work so far  :cool:

Offline Scott D

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 18 February 2012, 22:45 »
Has been a fair while since last updated and not much has changed on the car other than accumulating parts over winter. Genuine anni skirts and rear valance are in the garage ready for fitting and an R32 front bumper, FMIC was a very very tight fit behind the standard front bumper - no issues with the R32, looks a hell of a lot better too.

Spent a fair few hours washing, polishing along with 3 coats of wax on the OZ alloys - ready to change from the winter Audi 16" A3 rims its currently rockin on.

MOT test next week, fingers crossed it'll pass then can plan towards replacing the Weitec suspension and slightly stiffening up the ride.

2003 1.8T GTI 180 - APR Stage I, S2000 Filter, R-Tech Supersize TIP, Bilstein B12 Suspension, 18" OZ Superleggera, Recaro Heated Leathers, US Spec Rear Lights, N249/SAI/PCV Delete

R-Tech Map, Forge FMIC, SFS Oversized TIP, Ported Manifold, Milltek Turboback non res exhaust, Forge 007p, N249 & N112 delete, SAI delete, S2000 Air Filter, Sachs clutch & Lightweight Flywheel

Offline lukeyyyyyyy21

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 19 February 2012, 20:02 »
hey mate was there really no issues with fitting the FMIC and then placing the R32 bumper on? From what I have heard from other people they had issues with fitting a R32 bumper with a FMIC and had to cut into the bumper....

Offline Scott D

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 19 February 2012, 21:20 »
Had to cut a small amount on the left between the centre grill section for the hose that goes to the charge pipe that is all.

Offline Scott D

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 16 May 2012, 03:05 »
bit of an update....

Got the wheels on and a pair of Goodyear Eagle F1 ASY IIs fitted on the front, nearly went for different tyres as only managed 8k from the previous fronts but highly rate the performance of these in dry and wet conditions. Backs still have around 4-5mm on them  :grin:

Found a seller on ebay who makes heat sheilds for the old S3 which fitted the Golf no problem, then added heat reflective tape which does look a bit ropey but seems to be doing the job. Will be replacing the blue hose once 3" MAF is on.

And this got delivered to my local post office last week :smiley:

K04-001 with a Forge Actuator

Just awaiting return of a ported exhaust manifold from Badger 5 then will be ready for the parts to be fitted.

Offline Scott D

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 02 July 2012, 18:09 »
Dropped the car off at a decent garage in Oldham to have the K04, ported manifold, all new bolts & gaskets and a new thermostat fitted which should be ready for Wednesday leaving only the mapping to be done next month

Already thinking about WMI and rods  :grin: but need to sort the handing out first as rear axel bushes are phucked (to be replaced with SuperPro this month) and need to do something to try improve turn in as it feels like a barge on tight corners

Offline Scott D

• I live here
Re: MK4 1.8t GTI 180 - K04-001
« Reply #8 on: 06 July 2012, 02:12 »
K04-001 is on along with the other parts :)

Driving back from the garage couldn't not do a WOT on the motorway which was followed by a bang and loosing all engine power, coasted to the hard shoulder thinking the worst. A plug on the intercooler to throttle body hose had blown off (DV relocation) and landed on the engine block, own fault as didn't have any jubilee clips or clamps holding it on, guess luck was on my side and swerved a call to the AA.

Trip to Halfords for some excessively overpriced jubilee clips and an ebay R-Spec MBC running with the N75 to cap boost fitted only temp until remapped.

Had doubts about going from a good K03s to K04-001 but just about worth it.. spool up is much quicker and holds the boost that bit longer.

3" MAF, LCR injectors, LCR fuel pump and remap next
« Last Edit: 06 July 2012, 02:43 by Scott D »