Author Topic: non OEM Xenons  (Read 21671 times)

Offline EyeballPaul

• Here all the time
Re: non OEM Xenons
« Reply #170 on: 25 November 2011, 07:06 »
Are you not fitting them for yourself

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #171 on: 25 November 2011, 08:42 »
I've missed a lot of this thread and cba to read back through it all. Are you boys still talking about the xenon lookalikes, that are hallogen projector lights with a HID conversion fitted?

I was talking to a mate the other day, who had fitted a set of Depo projector lights with a HID conversion into his E90 BMW. The quality of build and look of the lights themselves is top draw, but the light output is nigh on dangerous. He has 4300K burners so that they are as close to oem as possible, properly set up using a beam setter, but he can't see as far or as clearly as he could with his old hallogen reflector lights.

What also concerns me about these lights for the Golf, is that not only could the dip beam be poor like the Depo's, but they use projectors for main beam as well, so they could be equally as bad. 

I hope I'm wrong, but it would be oem or nothing for me.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline EyeballPaul

• Here all the time
« Reply #172 on: 25 November 2011, 08:53 »
On a very long thread on another forum alot of people rate these lights, saying they give as close to xenon as possible and alot better than the halogen originals.

Unfortunately i couldnt find a second had GTI with the right spec with xenons, so had to go without. OEM ones are so expensive, so these could be a good option for us porpers, i think they really do look the part just hope the light output is ok.

Hopefully Kenny will get his today and do a good write up on fitting and light output. If all is good ill be sure to get some in the new year.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #173 on: 25 November 2011, 08:57 »
Fingers crossed then.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline KennyGTI

• I live here
« Reply #174 on: 25 November 2011, 09:48 »
Are you not fitting them for yourself

Yeah i will be, but put money down on OEM ones.

APR Stage 2+

Offline EyeballPaul

• Here all the time
« Reply #175 on: 25 November 2011, 10:56 »
If you dont mind me asking, how much did the OEM ones cost. Did u need to buy light washers and levellers aslo.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #176 on: 25 November 2011, 11:01 »
Washers would mean a new bumper surely?

Offline EyeballPaul

• Here all the time
« Reply #177 on: 25 November 2011, 11:49 »
Not always as mine has the covers for them on the bumper, but not the washers. Strange i know, not sure why.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #178 on: 25 November 2011, 11:56 »
Did you buy it new?

Offline EyeballPaul

• Here all the time
« Reply #179 on: 25 November 2011, 12:10 »
No was second hand, i know the washers come with the winter pack. Which i know i havent got, think ive read somewhere before, that quite a few earlier cars for some reason had the bumper for the washers but no washers, god knows why