Author Topic: non OEM Xenons  (Read 21664 times)

Offline sundaydriver

• I live here
Re: non OEM Xenons - GROUP BUY
« Reply #70 on: 26 October 2011, 19:00 »
Back on topic, the seller on ebay seem's a little dodgy to me especially if his recent feedback is anything to go by (he's upset someone on a forum!):sad:

http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&ftab=AllFeedback&userid=dan_n*&iid=-1&de=off&items=25&interval=0&mPg=8&page=1

2012 Golf R, APR STAGE 2+, BCS power valve TB exhaust, loba HPFP, evoms intake, Rising blue, 19" Talladegas -BMW M2

Offline Spin 150pd

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #71 on: 27 October 2011, 09:04 »
Back on topic, the seller on ebay seem's a little dodgy to me especially if his recent feedback is anything to go by (he's upset someone on a forum!):sad:

http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&ftab=AllFeedback&userid=dan_n*&iid=-1&de=off&items=25&interval=0&mPg=8&page=1

I took a look on e-bay and he lives in the UK,  looks like he operates from his home address - nothing wrong with that but worth noting.  He (Dan) did also reply to an e-mail I sent asking him about his location,  his reply was the a vague or careful UK depending on how you percieve it.  I offered to take my car to him so we could fit them if tryuly plug and play and take some marketing photos - No response for this one.

I think until I can view a set on and working I'm unlikely to take the plunge from this sort of outlet as I would worry about poor customer service in the event of any issues.
Carbon Grey 3 Dr GTi, AP racing BBK,  ITG Intake, Milltek Race TBE & Revo Stage 2+ (sold) Replaced with 2010 S3 Sportback

"Fast Cars are safer.."

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #72 on: 27 October 2011, 15:49 »
Hmmm, you can read all sorts into the ebay feedback as it doesn't say it's a bad product or anything, just that someone has had their nose put out of joint by his marketing on forums.
But forums are exactly where Dan will find the sort of customers he's seeking so fair play to him up to a point.
The feedback could well have been given by someone who has had their nose put out of joint as he's undercut them on an overseas forum thanks to the favourable exchange rates!!

The warranty issue would certainly be a worry long term. Short term you're covered by PayPal.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
  • E63s Estate - Vito Sport
« Reply #73 on: 27 October 2011, 21:33 »
Has anybody bought a pair of these yet?

The car kit group buy as come, been paid for and gone  :grin:

I can help out any fitting at my place any time the week starting 6th November if it helps as we're on a two week shut down  :smiley:

Offline EyeballPaul

• Here all the time
« Reply #74 on: 27 October 2011, 21:39 »
Dan has posted on this forum before, so he is registered here i assume

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #75 on: 28 October 2011, 05:00 »
Has anybody bought a pair of these yet?

The car kit group buy as come, been paid for and gone  :grin:

I can help out any fitting at my place any time the week starting 6th November if it helps as we're on a two week shut down  :smiley:

Going out on strike Doc?  :laugh:

The other group buy was for reputable OEM bits not Chinese knock offs. Admittedly very sexy Chinese knock offs but none the less ....
I'm trying not to mention £15k plus cars and warranties again!!!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline spydar

• Just got here
I have these on my car (RHD)
« Reply #76 on: 28 October 2011, 05:45 »
Hi everyone,
I'm in Australia and I have recently bought and put these on my car.  Not sure I can link to another forum but I did a review here:
http://www.vwgolf.net.au/showthread.php?6474-Product-Review-Replica-OEM-HID-Headlamps-for-halogen-cars

I got them specially made for RHD.  I love them. Way cheaper then buying the OEM setup.  Although the LED DRL's replace the park lights, so they arent true DRL's.  You have to have the lights on 'park" or "on" for them to work, which means your tail lights will be on too. 

Cheers
Ian
« Last Edit: 28 October 2011, 05:54 by spydar »
MY11 GTI, 5 door, Black, DSG, 18", MDI, Leather, Sunroof & Park Assist

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #77 on: 28 October 2011, 05:58 »
Nice review Ian  :smiley:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
  • E63s Estate - Vito Sport
« Reply #78 on: 28 October 2011, 07:41 »
Sure is, I've stolen the vag com part ;-)

The main coding changes required were:

- Vagcom -> 09 Cent Elec -> Long Coding -> Byte 14 -> Tick Bit 3 (Xenons with shutters installed feature) - this fixed the flickering issue.
- Vagcom -> 09 Cent Elec -> Long Coding -> Byte 18 -> Set to 15 (or 3B)
- Also another tick for DRL's was required in the Long Coding for the 09 Cent Elec module but I can't remember the Byte number! It was above 18 though...

The Byte 18 setting is more so for the R tails...however it does have an impact on the DRLs as well.
Certain Byte 18 codings resulted in bulb out errors, no DRL's, different brightnesses for the tails and other weird settings (or a combination of all). On Ian's GTI setting Byte 18 to 15 or 3B resulted in no errors, correct brightness for R tails and functioning headlights/DRLs. This setting will vary depending upon what car you have (and year model). The best source of information is this thread:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...1#post65930137

Offline KennyGTI

• I live here
« Reply #79 on: 28 October 2011, 08:50 »
Nice write up Ian! Would love to get these just now but just booked up to go to Dublin next weekend with the lads! Lots of £££'s being next weekend! Hopefully get them before xmas!  :laugh:

APR Stage 2+