Author Topic: non OEM Xenons  (Read 21629 times)

Offline EyeballPaul

• Here all the time
Re: non OEM Xenons
« Reply #20 on: 16 October 2011, 14:59 »
Only had my MK6 GTI about a month, after having a MK5. Love it so far just really want the xenons miss having them, as i had them on my MK5. Couldnt find a MK6 with the right spec and right price that had xenons. Just to expensive to go for OEM ones.

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 16 October 2011, 15:09 »
Only had my MK6 GTI about a month, after having a MK5. Love it so far just really want the xenons miss having them, as i had them on my MK5. Couldnt find a MK6 with the right spec and right price that had xenons. Just to expensive to go for OEM ones.

When I specced my car I was too mean to factory order Xenons or Dynaudio. At least I ordered it with ACC which is wonderful.
IMVHO the 3 essentials to factory spec in order of importance are (1) ACC, (2) Xenons and (3) Dynaudio.
I ordered the first and had to spend a fortune on the third by way of an aftermarket system, though it sounds much better than the Dynaudio.
« Last Edit: 16 October 2011, 15:12 by am1w »
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline EyeballPaul

• Here all the time
« Reply #22 on: 16 October 2011, 20:19 »
Can anyone clear up a couple of things about the lights ive seen on Ebay, i have read a couple of posts stating that it is UK law that when xenons are fitted they must have auto levelling and headlamp washers.

My car does not have washers, and will not have auto levelling as i have halogens at the moment, the posts doesnt make it clear whether its only new cars out of factory that have to have these things, or anyone who fits aftermarket.

Offline SteveP

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 16 October 2011, 21:04 »
But these are halogen projectors aren't they? If so then the rules for washers and levers aren't applicable.

As long as they lights are E marked and the beam pattern passes the MOT check then I can't see any issues running these.

Offline EyeballPaul

• Here all the time
« Reply #24 on: 16 October 2011, 21:08 »
Oh ok i assumed they were like a standard xenon, not HID projection. Im no expert, but are these like a HID conversion then, but in a different lamp unlike some kits that fit in your existing lamps.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 17 October 2011, 08:32 »
I thought we'd talked about these lights before?

My views on then are,

LED's are the parking lights. It may be possible to code them as DRL's, but then what will you use for parking lights?

Indicator is very same and very close to the HID dip beam lamp. This could make it hard to see in certain situations.

Although them look similar to OEM, people like us, and you deep down, will know they are fakes due to the additional main beam and indicator in the wrong place.

As for the legallities of needing washers and auto levelling, that's up to you and your MOT tester. They are certainly a million times better than converted reflector lamps, but do not comply 100%. I have a HID conversion in my 2004 Passat (OEM projectors) My tester said as long as the wiring looks factory and the beam pattern is ok, he's fine with them. They are not allowed to go rummaging for additional wiring and hidden ballast units. These Mk6 lights have them all built in, look like they should be plug and play, so they'd probably be ok.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline EyeballPaul

• Here all the time
« Reply #26 on: 17 October 2011, 10:50 »
Thanks for all the advice, i found a 14 page thread on VWVortex about the LHD version of the lights, most people seem pleased with them, but cannot code the LED's as DRL's no matter what they try.

There has also been a few people that have had issues with the lights flickering, due to ballasts not wired great. Think im gonna wait on this one. The last thing i want is to fit them and then have lots of problems and have to replace ballasts ect.

Think ill spend my hard earned on other stuff first, ie rear parking sensors(wife will reverse into something soon), premium Bluetoothe as i have the touch stsyem at the moment, them maybe some carbon parts, rear diffuser and wing mirriors.

Offline Spin 150pd

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #27 on: 18 October 2011, 10:09 »
Thanks for all the advice, i found a 14 page thread on VWVortex about the LHD version of the lights, most people seem pleased with them, but cannot code the LED's as DRL's no matter what they try.

There has also been a few people that have had issues with the lights flickering, due to ballasts not wired great. Think im gonna wait on this one. The last thing i want is to fit them and then have lots of problems and have to replace ballasts ect.

Think ill spend my hard earned on other stuff first, ie rear parking sensors(wife will reverse into something soon), premium Bluetoothe as i have the touch stsyem at the moment, them maybe some carbon parts, rear diffuser and wing mirriors.

It seems we all reach the same conclusion with retro fitting xenons,  lesson learned for me,  must have oem xenon next time around :wink:
Carbon Grey 3 Dr GTi, AP racing BBK,  ITG Intake, Milltek Race TBE & Revo Stage 2+ (sold) Replaced with 2010 S3 Sportback

"Fast Cars are safer.."

Offline EyeballPaul

• Here all the time
« Reply #28 on: 18 October 2011, 13:16 »
A definate lesson learnt, i need to win some money to afford all the parts to get OEM ones done.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #29 on: 18 October 2011, 14:38 »
A definate lesson learnt, i need to win some money to afford all the parts to get OEM ones done.

If you managed to save the money to buy the car, surely you can save up for some headlights?
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.