Gloss Black
1 (12.5%)
Gloss White
0 (0%)
Carbon
6 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: 17 September 2011, 00:57

Author Topic: Another carbon wrap question  (Read 3208 times)

Offline golf-sib

• I live here
  • Турботазик
Another carbon wrap question
« on: 10 September 2011, 00:57 »
Basically I ruined my bonnet, having difficulty sourcing a new one from individuals and breakers, they all seem to be incompetent beyond extremes which amazes me how they make money to begin with.

Anyway too the question, I'm just going to get the cheapest painted bonnet my way and attempt to wrap it, so here are my questions:

1) Is it easy?
2) Tools required?
3) There seems to be a lot of variations of wrap especially on the carbon side, some say no bubbles, better quality etc... what are your opinions and experiences on this, is it worth paying out extra for the quality?
4) My mk4 is metallic black, vote for which color you think the bonnet should be?

Thanks for the help guys :afro:

Audi TT - K04 TFSI Hybrid - 325BHP
VW Golf - k03 AGU - 200BHP

1.8T AGU..
R135
╚╬╬╝

My Chinese Bike project: http://xtrsproject.wordpress.com/

Offline scarr89

• I live here
  • Mk4 Golf, DERV FTW!
Re: Another carbon wrap question
« Reply #1 on: 10 September 2011, 10:24 »
Only ever tried it on interior dash trim etc. I used a hair dryer and bought cheaper stuff from ebay. People have recommended using a head gun instead of hair dryer, I would suggest this as you will be wrapping a large area and I would probably shell out the extra for the good quality vinyl as it will be exterior and taking quite a battering!

Good luck, and I would like to see a picture when done please   :cool:

Offline golf-sib

• I live here
  • Турботазик
« Reply #2 on: 10 September 2011, 12:43 »
Thanks, how strong is this stuff, will it resist jet washes etc?

Also regarding the heat gun, is this safe? I remember a friend in a body shop heating up a bumper to bend it back and pop it out, but when he spent to long heating it the paint bubbled, luckily the bumper was going for a respray anyway.

1.8T AGU..
R135
╚╬╬╝

Offline scarr89

• I live here
  • Mk4 Golf, DERV FTW!
« Reply #3 on: 10 September 2011, 14:13 »
Please don't get me mixed up with an expert BTW  :smiley: But I have heard people say it will resist pressure washers, but realistically why would you need to? Just give it a sponge over and it should be clean, not like you can wax? Or could you?

When I used mummy's hair dryer  :laugh: the vinyl went soft in seconds, you shouldn't need to hold it there for too long I'd imagine! Plus you don't need to hold it 10mm from the vinyl to get it hot, just do it at a distance to be safe!

Offline golf-sib

• I live here
  • Турботазик
« Reply #4 on: 13 September 2011, 19:16 »
I was looking at the 3m stuff and it said to use a primer and it stated two types I can use. What is this primer stuff, an adhesive? I thought the stuff just peeled and stuck on. Any more information and help would be appreciated.

1.8T AGU..
R135
╚╬╬╝

Offline Reasty

• I live here
  • Alpine white valver.
« Reply #5 on: 14 September 2011, 07:38 »
You want to use the 3m di-noc stuff,it's the best carbon wrap to use and gives the best results,not the cheapest but you get what you pay for,it's also very useable on interior and exterior trim and panels

Offline gtiballs61

• I live here
  • Wanted-nearside wing in lp3g(flash red)
« Reply #6 on: 14 September 2011, 09:11 »
likewise,i have only used the 3m carbon stuff off ebay.i know from experience it helps to heat it up whilst applying.
On a larger area im not sure how to,but if you PM    stainesy    he has done this on his mk3 bonnet,and done a good job too :cool:

Offline golf-sib

• I live here
  • Турботазик
« Reply #7 on: 14 September 2011, 10:38 »
Thanks, so what's the 3m primer stuff about that you buy in the 1l metal bottles? I'll pm the mk3 Guy when I get in.

1.8T AGU..
R135
╚╬╬╝

Offline mcgee9t2

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 14 September 2011, 11:00 »
Couldnt imagine youde need primer. did my badge.a year ago and its not came off ect. And thats seen plenty of washes ect.

thought ide recomend a heat gun rather than hair dryer. especially on a large area like that. 

bullens

« Reply #9 on: 14 September 2011, 11:50 »
You want to use the 3m di-noc stuff,it's the best carbon wrap to use and gives the best results

actually its not the best stuff, there are 2 brands that are alot better but they are stupidly expensive