Author Topic: Edition 35 is here!  (Read 51303 times)

Jimmymature

Re: Edition 35 is here!
« Reply #120 on: 20 September 2011, 22:38 »
BUT, if the current Leon R didn't have one of the ugliest interiors i'd have one over the GTI........Not worried about the build quality as i'm not overly impressed with the GTI's build quality...

Jim

Really? I think the build quality of mine is very very good, miles better than my mates mk5 and as good as another mates A3 but then that car is looking quite dated now IMO.

I think it looks nice inside but just look at the quality around the door cards - CHEAP, the luggage shelf -Very CHEAP.  I think the Audi is dated now but it is better 'quality' than the golf for sure IMO.

Jim

Offline gizzywizzy

• I live here
  • Black is definitely the stealthiest colour!!
« Reply #121 on: 20 September 2011, 22:50 »
BUT, if the current Leon R didn't have one of the ugliest interiors i'd have one over the GTI........Not worried about the build quality as i'm not overly impressed with the GTI's build quality...

Jim

Really? I think the build quality of mine is very very good, miles better than my mates mk5 and as good as another mates A3 but then that car is looking quite dated now IMO.

I think it looks nice inside but just look at the quality around the door cards - CHEAP, the luggage shelf -Very CHEAP.  I think the Audi is dated now but it is better 'quality' than the golf for sure IMO.

Jim

Ok probably agree re the parcel shelf, the door cards on mine are fine tho.  I am still in love with my GTI so am probably somewhat biased but to me it is an all round sound package.
Deep Black Pearl Mk7 GT TDI 150.

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #122 on: 21 September 2011, 04:42 »
Yes, the door cards are cheap and flimsy in look and feel, especially around the storage area. They could have rounded the edges or introduced a decorative moulding to nicely finish off the edge.

The parcel shelf is fine IMO. In fact, on a hatchback, it's only there to hide the contents in the boot. If it was too heavy or over- engineered, the retaining straps could snap.

I have been  considering doing something, with the help of Auto Audio, to improve the 'apparent' quality of the lower part of the door trim.   

Apart from this single grip, albeit a serious one, I am eminently satisfied with the design, material quality and fit and finish of the interior.

I am sure the Mk7 will be even better as it will have to compete with the new Mercedes A Class which will be a very Premium proposition.
I am seriously considering a change from VW to MB.
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #123 on: 21 September 2011, 05:04 »
That's all true but at the same time Skoda are doing great and are not being dumbed down by VW. SEAT have been losing money for ages. And one thing company bosses don't like more than competition is losing money. I think they can't find their USP - sporty? cheap? not german? :)
Small detail is that employment laws in Spain are very strickt and that limits the flexibility of the plant. Once hired it's almost job for life. In that environment it's difficult to come up with something new as it's the same people doing the same job for years.

Plus let's not forget VW plants are working O/T and I'm sure they would welcome more sales from SEAT. VW/Audi are getting expensive in the UK (or already have!) but in Euro zone countries they are good value for money as the prices haven't changed much recently. I was actually surprised to find out the other day that "old" S3 is still more expensive in Germany than the new Golf R. Makes it easy to choose. :wink:

Good point about Skoda. I think the thing with Skoda is they have never had any designs that have seriously threatened VW and have always been the thinking man's VW with a quiet but competant image.
Interesting point about Spanish employment laws, I didn't know that and it must have a bearing on VWs relationship with SEAT in that case - if SEAT aren't doing the business I can see VW wanting to sell them and be shot of a potentially expensive lame duck workforce. No wonder the build quality of SEATs has been called into question in the past then if the workers think they can get away with being a bit sloppy; that reminds me of the British car industry ... enough said there. SEAT's biggest enemy (aside from badge snobbery and some ugly cars) in the UK has been their dealers.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Radek

• GTI forum regular
  • Good things come to those who wait
« Reply #124 on: 21 September 2011, 09:28 »
Interesting point about Spanish employment laws, I didn't know that and it must have a bearing on VWs relationship with SEAT in that case - if SEAT aren't doing the business I can see VW wanting to sell them and be shot of a potentially expensive lame duck workforce. No wonder the build quality of SEATs has been called into question in the past then if the workers think they can get away with being a bit sloppy; that reminds me of the British car industry ... enough said there. SEAT's biggest enemy (aside from badge snobbery and some ugly cars) in the UK has been their dealers.
I used to to work for Nissan and remember the stories about the plant in Barcelona. In the "golden days" of Pathfinder and Navara they were making a lot of money but when the SUVs became too unloved the plant just stopped production. They wanted to lay off 1500 people only to realise they couldn't. The got rid of 300 thanks to huge payout offers but the plant is artificially kept alive producing NV200 vans (yes, big hit - in Algeria)...

Agreed on the dealers. I took mine 3 attempts and 6 months to get a spare key coded as the car they sold me (1 year old) came without it! Then there were some issues with rattles on the car and the dealer's technicians of course did not hear them on a test drive. In the end it turned out to be a loose screw just inside the central console

Golf GTI VI DSG - died on the road, resurrected, came back as zombi, sold
R - rising blue, 5-door, DSG, ACC, something something...

Offline Saint Steve

• I live here
« Reply #125 on: 21 September 2011, 15:10 »
I'll start ripping the bits out end of 2012 before I flog it. I am p!ssed off with the Ed35. At least it's got ugly, sh!tty wheels and I hope they build it like cr@p as it is a run-out model.

saw a 61 Plate GTi with these wheels on today....... it looks great in the flesh.. love the Gloss black.

Offline Steve30

• I live here
  • Ed30 .
« Reply #126 on: 21 September 2011, 15:29 »
^^^^^^^^^^ Shame about the tyres  :rolleyes:

Tiguan quicker than the Golf

Offline Saint Steve

• I live here
« Reply #127 on: 21 September 2011, 21:07 »
VW never learn do they  :laugh:

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #128 on: 21 September 2011, 21:13 »
VW never learn do they  :laugh:

You need to annoint them.
I am going DB next. The 3 Pointed Star beckones me. Looks like it will be a tasty and fleet of foot C Class Coupe as a bare minimum.
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline JellyCat

• Here all the time
« Reply #129 on: 24 September 2011, 09:24 »
Saw an ED35 in a vw dealer while shopping for second car - still pref the normal GTI with monza shaddows (for me it will be a case of checking out the mk7 or new shape S3 when they come out - but that's just IMO)