Author Topic: Edition 35 is here!  (Read 51329 times)

Jimmymature

Re: Edition 35 is here!
« Reply #110 on: 20 September 2011, 17:55 »
In all seriousness when do we expect to see a UK landed mk7 GTi, assumming the mk7 is launched at Geneva in March 2012, we would see UK order books open in say June, and then the first deliveries of TDi's in September.

Safe bet to see a GTi preview at Worthersee 2012 and release at Frankfurt 2012?

Then orders open October for deliveries Jan 2013?

Does that look realistic? or do we think its going to be early 2014 before we see a UK landed GTi Mk7?

Dave
I'll put my money on 2014. According to german press Golf VII will be out in 2013 and GTI in 2014. That would put RHD GTI in mid 2014.

2014 is good as I'll have sold the GTI a year or so before the new one arrives....

Jim

Offline HA54SYM`

• I live here
« Reply #111 on: 20 September 2011, 18:00 »
If we reall are looking 2014, then unless the A3 looks good, making the S3 a contender, I think I will go for an Edition 35.

I'm a bit stuck with a car similar to the GTi (new), New ST is a no no, and I don't like the Megane.

Dave
94 - Roversport Tomcat Racecar

Jimmymature

« Reply #112 on: 20 September 2011, 18:54 »
If we reall are looking 2014, then unless the A3 looks good, making the S3 a contender, I think I will go for an Edition 35.

I'm a bit stuck with a car similar to the GTi (new), New ST is a no no, and I don't like the Megane.

Dave

The all new SEAT Cupra R should be out before then........

Offline Radek

• GTI forum regular
  • Good things come to those who wait
« Reply #113 on: 20 September 2011, 19:36 »

Dave

Hmmm, define "all new SEAT". Pecking order in VW empire is: Audi-VW-Skoda-SEAT so Cupra R will have to be based on existing VAG model (mk6 chassis). No way it's going to get mk7 bits before VW. They are broke and won't be spending any money on anything new. Seen what the "brand new" Exeo is? Previous gen A4.
Cupra R refresh - yes, brand new - unlikely.
I like SEAT very much (had an Altea) but I'm worried about them. Buyers with loads of money go to Audi/VW, with less to Skoda and SEAT is in no-man's land.
Golf GTI VI DSG - died on the road, resurrected, came back as zombi, sold
R - rising blue, 5-door, DSG, ACC, something something...

Jimmymature

« Reply #114 on: 20 September 2011, 20:05 »

Dave

Hmmm, define "all new SEAT". Pecking order in VW empire is: Audi-VW-Skoda-SEAT so Cupra R will have to be based on existing VAG model (mk6 chassis). No way it's going to get mk7 bits before VW. They are broke and won't be spending any money on anything new. Seen what the "brand new" Exeo is? Previous gen A4.
Cupra R refresh - yes, brand new - unlikely.
I like SEAT very much (had an Altea) but I'm worried about them. Buyers with loads of money go to Audi/VW, with less to Skoda and SEAT is in no-man's land.

Rumours I've read is that SEAT will be one of the first in the stable to launch with the new platform.

I think VW are fast becoming too expensive for most and I think SEAT will get the business of those who'd have bought VW in the past.  I for one will not spend £30k+ on a Golf because it's quick(er)

Jim

Jim

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #115 on: 20 September 2011, 20:39 »
VW Audi dumbed down SEAT after the Spanish brand produced far better cars than the parent companies in the nineties and noughties. Obviously there was pressure from the German financiers and unions to reign in SEAT once they'd built up their brand.
There followed years where VW didn't quite know which direction to point their sporty brand and a whole generation of quite ugly cars with rock hard ride followed. The new Ibiza has pulled them back off their arses a bit but I really fear for SEAT as the parent company and unions won't want them becoming dangerous again. I will guess that as the big Chinese markets open up VW will want to concentrate more on building the VW brand in the East and keep a lid on any competition in Europe which might threaten German coffers.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #116 on: 20 September 2011, 20:42 »
VW Audi dumbed down SEAT after the Spanish brand produced far better cars than the parent companies in the nineties and noughties. Obviously there was pressure from the German financiers and unions to reign in SEAT once they'd built up their brand.There followed years where VW didn't quite know which direction to point their sporty brand and a whole generation of quite ugly cars with rock hard ride followed. The new Ibiza has pulled them back off their arses a bit but I really fear for SEAT as the parent company and unions won't want them becoming dangerous again. I will guess that as the big Chinese markets open up VW will want to concentrate more on building the VW brand in the East and keep a lid on any competition in Europe which might threaten German coffers.

And that is how it was and is. Pity.
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline Radek

• GTI forum regular
  • Good things come to those who wait
« Reply #117 on: 20 September 2011, 21:49 »
That's all true but at the same time Skoda are doing great and are not being dumbed down by VW. SEAT have been losing money for ages. And one thing company bosses don't like more than competition is losing money. I think they can't find their USP - sporty? cheap? not german? :)
Small detail is that employment laws in Spain are very strickt and that limits the flexibility of the plant. Once hired it's almost job for life. In that environment it's difficult to come up with something new as it's the same people doing the same job for years.

Plus let's not forget VW plants are working O/T and I'm sure they would welcome more sales from SEAT. VW/Audi are getting expensive in the UK (or already have!) but in Euro zone countries they are good value for money as the prices haven't changed much recently. I was actually surprised to find out the other day that "old" S3 is still more expensive in Germany than the new Golf R. Makes it easy to choose. :wink:

Golf GTI VI DSG - died on the road, resurrected, came back as zombi, sold
R - rising blue, 5-door, DSG, ACC, something something...

Jimmymature

« Reply #118 on: 20 September 2011, 22:02 »
BUT, if the current Leon R didn't have one of the ugliest interiors i'd have one over the GTI........Not worried about the build quality as i'm not overly impressed with the GTI's build quality...

Jim
« Last Edit: 20 September 2011, 22:12 by Jimmymature »

Offline gizzywizzy

• I live here
  • Black is definitely the stealthiest colour!!
« Reply #119 on: 20 September 2011, 22:36 »
BUT, if the current Leon R didn't have one of the ugliest interiors i'd have one over the GTI........Not worried about the build quality as i'm not overly impressed with the GTI's build quality...[/b]

Jim

Really? I think the build quality of mine is very very good, miles better than my mates mk5 and as good as another mates A3 but then that car is looking quite dated now IMO.
« Last Edit: 20 September 2011, 22:38 by gizzywizzy »
Deep Black Pearl Mk7 GT TDI 150.