Author Topic: Edition 35 is here!  (Read 51264 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Edition 35 is here!
« Reply #90 on: 18 September 2011, 10:35 »
If you want 18'' and upwards of alloy wheels, leather and xenons you'd be daft not to buy an ED35, we can all see that from the configurator.
But you also have to look at running costs such as insurance and fuel on which score the ED35 will come a little way behind the GTI.
It reminds me of the old mk2 days. You could buy an 8v and spec it so that it would look poor value against a 16v but people still did because they didn't like the driving characteristics of the 16v. The K04 turbo doesn't really feel like it has deep lungs until you're over 3000 rpm, it feels a little latent before then and on the road I really doubt there would be a lot of performance difference between the two cars in give and take driving.
On a drag stip or if the cars were modified it's a different story obviously so there's no easy black and white answer as everybody's wants and needs are a little different.
The mk5 got leather as standard on the run out models so don't be surprised if the 'humble' GTI and GTD get similar treatment during the next year or so.

At the end of the day the GTI is expensive and will loose lots of money the same as a similarly priced Astra or Focus or whatever. On basic list price it has gone up £2300 since 2009 unlike most of our salaries.
If you want one you will have to pay for it and then bend over and take the depreciation costs which are pretty much stage managed by VW.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #91 on: 18 September 2011, 11:00 »
I've made a decision. This is serious.
I'll buy myself a banger next, buy some cheap land on the beach on a Greek Island, as the property market has collapsed there, build a house and raise some chickens and goats and cultivate the rear of the property to grow herbs and spices. Those of you who have been nice to me on the forum can come and stay and enjoy my hospitality. My apartment in Athens, with a veiw of the Acropolis, is now also available for a holiday let. It's as hot as hell there at the present.
I might as well sink my money into already badly depreciated property and not into a depreciating asset like a car. Makes good financial sense, me thinks.
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #92 on: 18 September 2011, 11:11 »
Financially that would make far more sense Asker. Property will eventually turn around and increase in value as everybody needs a roof over their head.
A car however will only ever cost money and lose money unless you get something ultra rare. Even then there are no guarantees. Cars can end up a bit like doing drugs, you get sucked into a bit of a downward spiral with them and all the while you know you really should be more sensible!!

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #93 on: 18 September 2011, 12:46 »
I'll start ripping the bits out end of 2012 before I flog it. I am p!ssed off with the Ed35. At least it's got ugly, sh!tty wheels and I hope they build it like cr@p as it is a run-out model.
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline Tony D

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #94 on: 18 September 2011, 14:38 »
I am p!ssed off with the Ed35. At least it's got ugly, sh!tty wheels and I hope they build it like cr@p as it is a run-out model.

Hahahaha!  It's like you're throwing your toys out of the pram but this has made me chuckle and I admire your honesty!
Current: 

Tesla Model 3 Performance

Past:

2015/15 Golf GTD
2009/09 Golf GT TDI
2008/08 Golf GTi Edition 30
2002/52 Golf GTi 25th Anniversary
1997/P Golf GTi 20th Anniversary

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #95 on: 18 September 2011, 14:39 »
I am p!ssed off with the Ed35. At least it's got ugly, sh!tty wheels and I hope they build it like cr@p as it is a run-out model.

Hahahaha!  It's like you're throwing your toys out of the pram but this has made me chuckle and I admire your honesty!

Going from your sig I'm guessing someone has one on order?  :grin:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Tony D

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #96 on: 18 September 2011, 14:47 »

Going from your sig I'm guessing someone has one on order?  :grin:

You'd think, right?   But alas not.  I love my Ed30 and it only has 29k miles on the clock, plus it already comes with all the power I can sensibly use on my limited daily commute.  It's not that I don't want an Ed35, but I think the cost to change will be about £18k (if I trade-in) and I think that money could be better spent elsewhere. 
Current: 

Past:

2015/15 Golf GTD
2009/09 Golf GT TDI

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #97 on: 18 September 2011, 14:59 »

You'd think, right?   But alas not.  I love my Ed30 and it only has 29k miles on the clock, plus it already comes with all the power I can sensibly use on my limited daily commute.  It's not that I don't want an Ed35, but I think the cost to change will be about £18k (if I trade-in) and I think that money could be better spent elsewhere. 

Very sensible given that the ED35 is very similar beneath the plastic.
Seeing your sig just made me think what a strategy buying each of the Annis would be; so you'd order a new car every 5 years which would be a pretty desirable model with unique features. You'd also be selling at round about the time an extended VW warranty would be about to expire so you'd have pretty hassle free motoring right through. The outgoing car would be five years old so easy enough to sell privately and would be desireable having only had one owner and lowish miles thus you'd not have to get a double sting of a part ex going in and could order through a broker to maximise any discount.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Tony D

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #98 on: 18 September 2011, 15:32 »
You've hit the nail on the head as that's exactly what my strategy has been.  Each of the previous Anni's has always proved a pretty good investment (as far as buying a new car can be) and they've always been sold privately for decent money at the end of ownership, meaning the TCO over the period I owned them was actually quite low.

The initial high cost of the MKV Ed30 means I don't think it will do quite aswell as its predecessors (when I eventually come to sell it), and I think the Ed35 will be a similar story as its simply a very expensive car to start.

Never say never though...  :) 
Current: 

Past:

2015/15 Golf GTD
2009/09 Golf GT TDI

Jimmymature

« Reply #99 on: 18 September 2011, 16:52 »

The main fault with the ED35 isnt the car, it's the timing.  It comes too close to the end of the life of the MK6.

Jim