Author Topic: VAG-COM Throttle Position Sensor  (Read 5942 times)

Offline invame

• Not said much yet
VAG-COM Throttle Position Sensor
« on: 17 April 2011, 20:40 »
Hi all,

This started with a rough idle and hesitation. I took the throttle body off and cleaned it with carb cleaner and it sort of fixed it, only now the idle is around 1000 to 1200 rpm rather than 750-850 rpm, which is what it's supposed to be. After acquiring VAG-COM and clearing some intermittent errors I am now left with the below errors that can't be cleared:

2 Faults Found:
00518 - Throttle Position Sensor (G69)
        27-00 - Implausible Signal
00530 - Throttle Position Sensor (G88)
        27-00 - Implausible Signal

I've gone through some of the troubleshooting steps in Elsawin, such as testing the TPS connector for voltages (which were within range) but it goes on about testing the ECU with VAG 1598/18 attached (I think it's a breakout box to make testing the ECU easier) but this is where I start to get confused and nervous. I know very little about electrics and it looks for all the world that I have a faulty TPS, so I'm thinking what's the point?

Could anyone with knowledge and experience of these things confirm this or suggest anything I may be overlooking before I purchase a throttle body (it's an AGG engine and the TPS by itself is non-replaceable. You have to swap the entire throttle body).

As always, any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Offline neil1780

• I live here
Re: VAG-COM Throttle Position Sensor
« Reply #1 on: 21 April 2011, 22:17 »
I would just replace the tb mate. Done mine a few weeks ago and is spot on, now idles perfect, I paid £25 for mine.
V6 4MOTION

Offline invame

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 22 April 2011, 19:27 »
Just done it today. £42 inc. postage from ebay. No more errors and idling nicely at 800 rpm. I think I read your post on the subject neil1780. I had a similar issue with the endless clicking after fitting the new one. I disconnected the the battery for an hour but it still did the same on reconnection until I gave the cable housing/wheel a nudge and then it went through it's alignment thing. It must have been sticking or something. I took it for a drive and the only thing I noticed is that when lifting off, the revs drop more slowly than they did before. I don't know whether it's an issue or not to be honest or what it's supposed to be like. Any thoughts?

Offline neil1780

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 23 April 2011, 16:34 »
Yeah mate i did notice it was slower to drop the last few hundred revs but its never bothered me as it idles perfect and i dont have to use the throttle to start it anymone :grin:
V6 4MOTION