Author Topic: Headgasket!  (Read 5816 times)

Offline Sam

• I live here
  • Sam I am
Re: Headgasket!
« Reply #10 on: 11 April 2011, 21:42 »
carb off, rocker cover off, exhaust manifold unbolted, mark up cam belt with tippex on all pullys, remove spleen bolts on head from the middle out and in diagonal opposites (these will need replacing) and then lift head (after unbolting whatever waterpipes and sensors are attached) make sure block and head is VERY clean, new gasket on and then drop the head on and replace everything in reverse order. Whilst at it do your cam belt and cam tensioner, also worth thinking about your waterpump too. Not even close to a comprehensive guide, just an idea to keep thinking through in your head. Makes alot more sense if you open your bonnet and read through.

The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.

Offline RyanVW

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 11 April 2011, 21:59 »
carb off, rocker cover off, exhaust manifold unbolted, mark up cam belt with tippex on all pullys, remove spleen bolts on head from the middle out and in diagonal opposites (these will need replacing) and then lift head (after unbolting whatever waterpipes and sensors are attached) make sure block and head is VERY clean, new gasket on and then drop the head on and replace everything in reverse order. Whilst at it do your cam belt and cam tensioner, also worth thinking about your waterpump too. Not even close to a comprehensive guide, just an idea to keep thinking through in your head. Makes alot more sense if you open your bonnet and read through.

Thanks a bunch! I think i might tackle it myself, it sounds fairly straightforward and its all good fun  :grin:

Offline RyanVW

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 12 April 2011, 18:27 »
so when i change the headgasket what else should i change at the same time?
water pump and cam belt?

Thanks

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #14 on: 12 April 2011, 22:26 »
so when i change the headgasket what else should i change at the same time?
water pump and cam belt?

Thanks

I'd take the opportunity to check the condition of the pump but I wouldn't just change it for the sake of it as it doesn't run off the cam belt and is easy to swap out if needed.   Fan belt (alternator & water pump belt) if it looks old would be good chance to stick a . new one on.  New cam belt and tensioner.  Can't think of anything else at the moment.  As said, once the head is off give everything a really good clean!

Offline RyanVW

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 13 April 2011, 10:55 »
cool thanks
also where is a good place to get the bits and bobs i need for a decent price?
iv found them all on ebay but i was just wondering if i could get them cheaper anywhere?

Thanks again

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 13 April 2011, 12:25 »
cool thanks
also where is a good place to get the bits and bobs i need for a decent price?
iv found them all on ebay but i was just wondering if i could get them cheaper anywhere?

Thanks again

GSF?

Offline RyanVW

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 13 April 2011, 13:24 »
Why have i need seen that website before?
its awesome

Offline raferackstraw

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 13 April 2011, 13:28 »
one other thing mate, once head is off you will need to check if has warped and get it skimmed as necessary, otherwise the new gasket will blow in no time

wayne gardner smokes one rothmans too many
500cc 2stroke bad for ya health

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 13 April 2011, 14:18 »
Why have i need seen that website before?
its awesome

if you join the mk1 owners club you'll get a membership card... it costs £15

as a member you get discount for mk1 bits and bobs from all over the place... all you have to do is show the card, its well worth it if you need parts etc  :wink:

eg. -10% at GSF, Car Hoods Northern, CQ's, Newton Commercial etc