Author Topic: 3M perfect III kit  (Read 1878 times)

Offline JDM82

• Here all the time
3M perfect III kit
« on: 08 April 2011, 21:16 »
Ive purchased a 3M perfect 3 kit with relevant pads to remove the many scratches/swirls on my car. With this kit do I use all 3 cutting polishes or just what I think for the scratch that Im working on? Im only thinking you work the 3 together due to them coming as a 3 pack kit  :undecided:

There basically light cut, medium/heavy and heavy cut polish.

Any help on these products would be great  :smiley:

I'll not use til I have all the advice/help I need so dont worry Im not gunna go at it half arsed  :rolleyes:
GOLF GTi - The legendary hot hatch

Offline Dan J

• I live here
  • Pro Valeting and correcting paint since 95
Re: 3M perfect III kit
« Reply #1 on: 09 April 2011, 03:03 »
you will very rarely need the fast cut+ and the green pad, you can get good correction with extra fine on the yellow pad depending on the situation in front of you, fast cut+ can be used on the yellow pad if a little more bite is needed but extra fine should do the trick on most occasions then finish down with ultrafina on the blue pad keeping your speed low to medium on the machine.
if your paints not that bad then start with ultrafina and see how it comes out as that may be all it needs but if the results dont seem to be happening then move up a stage to yellow pad and extra fine and so on, never start with the heaviest compound first ;)

hope this helps ;)
I EAT CARNAUBA FLAKES FOR BREAKFAST!!!

Offline JDM82

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 09 April 2011, 09:24 »
It does help PH, thanks very much  :wink:

Offline Tazzy

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 09 April 2011, 11:03 »
been looking into this as well, start with the light cut, then move up a grade, then to next if necessary, once done, go back down the grades back to light, i need to do this as the golf is a state at the moment
If It Comes Off, Modify It!

Offline JDM82

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 09 April 2011, 13:46 »
What colours your golf? My audi's black which is a proper ball ache as you probably know it shows every scratch and swirl  :cry:

Offline Tazzy

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 09 April 2011, 21:40 »
my golf is silver mate, ive read that before about black cars although never owned one myself, ive got a mate with a black car and he only uses the ag srp, but i guess sometimes that isnt enough...

Offline JDM82

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 09 April 2011, 22:19 »
Ive used a few things so far and nothings made a difference so Im hoping the 3M stuff does.
Ive tried lime prime and lime prime lite, meguiars ultimate compound and scratch X and none removed a single scratch/swirl.
Guy suggested 3M perfect so here's hoping it does the job cause its getting VERY expensive now  :shocked:

Offline Tazzy

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 09 April 2011, 22:23 »
ye i can imagine, the megs stuff you mentioned is more for the day to day entheusiast, they do a 3 step range more for the detailer within us, although more expensive and i guess more of the lines that the 3M is, hope it works out for you

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 11 April 2011, 09:28 »
have a look here... I have done all sorts with 3M kit

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=188699.0