Author Topic: Idle problem  (Read 2469 times)

Offline Ferdinor

• GTI forum regular
Idle problem
« on: 22 March 2011, 17:07 »
Hi guys first post so i hope this is the correct place to put it, so about 6 months ago i got given a golf mk3 1.4cl it was running fine when i got it, then it sat in my drive way for about 4 months over winter due to my dad not driving it and me yet to have a license, so in the last few weeks iv been looking into getting her on the road and came across a few little problems the main problem being the idle.

So when i first start it up, it will idle about 1100 then on its own will rev up to 3000 and just sit there if i rev it it will then go back to 3000 again, then when it warms up it will drop down to 2000 but hunts revs keep going from 2000 - 2200 constantly, even when fully warmed up. When reved it will drop down to 1100 and on its up go up to 2000 and start hunting again. i have tried a few things today, like fix the little leak in the exhaust, removed and cleaned all the plugs, removed the top of the throttle body, used carb cleaner to clean it up and i have a nice clean airfilter in there, but still it does the same thing, i have searched the forum and google for this issue and cant seem to find my problem, so if anyone could help me or suggest what it could be without going out and spending money as most things can be fixed by cleaning them up  :wink:

Any help would be great, thanks
Alan

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
Re: Idle problem
« Reply #1 on: 23 March 2011, 09:42 »
Welcome buddy, first thing to check would be all your VAC hoses for splits or cracks, also make sure they are all connected properly.

Offline Ferdinor

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 23 March 2011, 13:33 »
Thank you for your reply  :smiley:
after cleaning the throttle body and then checking the oil breathers this morning it still wasnt working so i had a read on this forum and saw something about if your battery has discharged whilst sat on the car when connecting the new battery you should turn the ignition on for 10 seconds then turn it of again again, so i did this and well it now starts idles and revs like a charm.

So its all sorted now  :smiley:

Alan

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #3 on: 23 March 2011, 13:36 »
Glad to hear you've sorted it. Resetting the ECU is sometimes the cure to many head scratching problems.

Before taking it out for a spin, clean up all the earths and replace any that may be broken or very worn. Everything flows much nicer when it's all working well :afro:

Offline Ferdinor

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 23 March 2011, 19:20 »
Glad to hear you've sorted it. Resetting the ECU is sometimes the cure to many head scratching problems.

Before taking it out for a spin, clean up all the earths and replace any that may be broken or very worn. Everything flows much nicer when it's all working well :afro:

Cheers, yeah i have tomorrow of work and its meant to be a nice day so i will knuckle down and try and find the earth points give them a clean, do you know how many there are roughly?  :grin:

Alan