Author Topic: dreaded sump plug help  (Read 3356 times)

Offline darren1.8t

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 841
  • I HATE FRENCH CARS
dreaded sump plug help
« on: 18 March 2011, 19:30 »
hi guys i did a oil change on my tdi mk4 and the sump plug wont go very tight has anyone gvot a quick fix for this? as i cant get it re freaded untill next week? please help cheers :cry:

Offline andc1

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,939
Re: dreaded sump plug help
« Reply #1 on: 18 March 2011, 19:37 »
you can get thread tape, basiclly it goes around the thread on the bolt making it slightly wider, might work or a new bolt


Offline darren1.8t

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 841
  • I HATE FRENCH CARS
Re: dreaded sump plug help
« Reply #2 on: 18 March 2011, 20:01 »
its got a new bolt mate were can i get the tape from? cheers

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: dreaded sump plug help
« Reply #3 on: 18 March 2011, 20:44 »
its got a new bolt mate were can i get the tape from? cheers

B & Q etc ptfe tape is what you want.

However I would not risk it, think what would happen if it fell out.

Offline Toby

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,901
  • Car - less
Re: dreaded sump plug help
« Reply #4 on: 18 March 2011, 23:53 »
its got a new bolt mate were can i get the tape from? cheers

B & Q etc ptfe tape is what you want.

However I would not risk it, think what would happen if it fell out.

wouldnt a fiber washer be better than ptfe tape  :undecided:

A real 304bhp 286lbft in a mk4 golf!

Currently down under

Offline darren1.8t

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 841
  • I HATE FRENCH CARS
Re: dreaded sump plug help
« Reply #5 on: 19 March 2011, 06:53 »
yeah cheers lads im gonna get it threaded next week so its just a quick bodge its not mega loose just dripping a bit lol  :cry:

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: dreaded sump plug help
« Reply #6 on: 19 March 2011, 07:59 »
its got a new bolt mate were can i get the tape from? cheers

B & Q etc ptfe tape is what you want.

However I would not risk it, think what would happen if it fell out.

wouldnt a fiber washer be better than ptfe tape  :undecided:

Not really as ptfe tape will help with the threads

Offline tech1889

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 8,039
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
Re: dreaded sump plug help
« Reply #7 on: 19 March 2011, 12:10 »
just wait to get re-threaded mate.. not worth driving and losing all oil.
Mk4 Golf GTI anniversary and mk6 golf tdi :)

Offline rio_gti

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,298
  • "i'm not spending any money on it" Got a Hybrid!
Re: dreaded sump plug help
« Reply #8 on: 19 March 2011, 18:07 »
I had same problem but as its gotta come off to thread it was just gonna put a new sump as they only 50 quidish!! So on wemt the jb weld till its time to change. Tried the ptfe and it was ok but still woyldnt go tight as i wanted....


2000 GTI 1.8t ARZ, S2000 filter, DSG intake, Forge 007 dv, Catch can, R-tech custom remap, 3" Supersize Silicone TIP, Powerflex dog bone, 'The Beast' FMIC, Ultimate delete, LCR fuel pump, 3" Turbo back, K03 hybrid, Ported Manifold, S3 injectors, 80mm maf = 280bhp 270lbft :evil:

Offline tech1889

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 8,039
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
Re: dreaded sump plug help
« Reply #9 on: 19 March 2011, 19:58 »
if cant re thread just spot weld in place will you can afford a replacement
Mk4 Golf GTI anniversary and mk6 golf tdi :)