Author Topic: robz - dusty mauve more door  (Read 5353 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
robz - dusty mauve more door
« on: 25 February 2011, 17:05 »
:)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline robz

• I live here
  • mk3's rule, haters gonna hate!
Re: robz - dusty mauve more door
« Reply #1 on: 25 February 2011, 19:35 »
hi all, ok, time to compile my other thread into an easier to read history and on going update thread for larry!

he's a '93 8valve gti in dusty mauve.

this is what he looked like when i bought him -

a months or so after owning him i had a small accident :D
single track lane, very wet, and met a peugot head on, blind corner, i was going down hill so the wheels just locked up, and smash....
messy front end, slam panel, both lights, bonnet and n/s wing were all pooped!

luckily the lady i hit was very nice, we agreed to not go through insurance, so a week later it was back up road worthy again!

looked a bit of a mess for a while, but money was tight so it was the trick!
slowly got rid of the clear indicators for smoked ones, and joeyed the headlights.
bonnet and wing were black, but were quickly replaced with what i were told were dusty mauve parts, but were a lightly different shade, however, this was better than black!
« Last Edit: 25 February 2011, 21:20 by robz »

Believe me its a dead ringer for you! Even says something stupid!

Offline robz

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 25 February 2011, 21:13 »
so at that point i wanted i was a bit miffed with the car, but still loved it!
then it started cutting out and doing he usual mk3 idle issues so went for diagnostics etc, ended up being a knackered air mass meter, which then cooked 3 coil packs :D
but in the process i replaced sparks plug, leads, cleaned up engine earths etc...

whilst i was off work ill one day, i then fitted some jbl 6 x 9's to the parcel shelf with an amp which i believe was 500 watts. very nice! sound quality is brilliant in the car now!

however all this being on show wasnt the best idea, so i mounted the amp underneath the parcel shelf and then covered the top with acoustic black fabric, so nice and tidy now!

seat bracket then broke, so that was welded back up as it was becoming very difficult going around roundabouts lying down :D

then i replaced the silly ram air air filter for a proper box, which i then drilled which gave fantastic noise and smooth power delivery when i also cleaned the throttle body.

bought some air intakes for the front bumper which are very nice!!

also the car was starting to smoke lots, which i beleive are the valve stem seals, still yet to be sorted.
so for the mot it had wynns stop smoke, which worked, for about 3 weeks over the mot :D

brake pipes were also cleaned up!

then fitted a new back box, this was a scorpion twin dtm, not exactly what i wanted, but better than what was on before, took a bit of fitting, as i also wanted to remove the middle silencer for more flow!
it is still this far out, but i have now decided i want a different one, possibly even a hidden one!

Offline robz

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 25 February 2011, 21:17 »
so whilst i was doing all this, i looked over other things underneath the car, and found a right mess on the sills.
holes everwhere on the front both sides.
so £600 of welding the sills and floor, the car was back together, and amazingly the car handled so much better afterwards!!! lol
expensive mistake not checking when i bought it! lesson learnt!