Author Topic: neil1780 - 8v GTI  (Read 6000 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
neil1780 - 8v GTI
« on: 25 February 2011, 16:40 »
:)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline neil1780

• I live here
Re: neil1780 - 8v GTI
« Reply #1 on: 28 February 2011, 21:59 »
Cheers jv  :smiley:

I was looking for a mk3 gti non runner on ebay to start a wee project and was bidding on a red N reg when i came across this 97 P with 113k in twilight violet with electrical probs local to me, infact the owner stays 6 doors down the street. So i went to see it and what was wrong with. £250 quid later and a tow home it was mine.

Ebay pics

Once home i had a good look at the damage and what was needed. First thing was the wiring loom from the ignition to the fuse box. The previous owner was having problems with the car cutting out and eventually not starting, so he started ripping the aftermarket immobiliser out and ended up doing this

So a trip to the local breaker and by luck had just taken delivery of a green gti 8v. Striped the loom out and fitted it to mine connected the battery jump leads on key in and nothing!
quick test and ignition switch is goosed. (did wonder why it had a push button start)
« Last Edit: 28 February 2011, 23:11 by neil1780 »
V6 4MOTION

Offline neil1780

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 28 February 2011, 22:20 »
So it turns over now but no spark, so whats next. After a few searches an questions on here and from a mate i changed the Relays, coil and ignition module but still no spark. A few more searches an questions and i ordered a crank sensor.

while waiting for this i decided to strip the car out completely as it was soaking and mouldy inside with all the snow we had and the common mk3 leak points.

All cleaned up

V6 4MOTION

Offline neil1780

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 28 February 2011, 22:43 »
Got crank sensor fitted but still wont start so i started checking all earths but couldnt find nothing wrong so i got another ecu from the breakers to try but still nothing. I was getting a bit annoyed now, and the only thing left was the wiring loom.
The next weekend i thought right were do i start, looking at the loom all taped up i thought to myself inside first! Stripped out clocks an a bit more of the dash to inspect the loom, all was ok so went to the fusebox again and i found a connector from the old immobiliser that wasnt 100% great so redone this i also changed 1 remaining relay on top of the fusebox (53 i think) not sure what its for but change it anyway.
Jump leads on and it started, couldnt believe it so chuffed its unreal, not to mention im a plumber not a mechanic.
Glory was short lived when it cut out 20mins later and wouldnt start again, so i left it an hour and tried it again and it started no probs but cut out again. At first i thought fuel pump relay but then after some advice i Ordered another Crank sensor.

Next job was the interior rebuild which i wasnt looking forward to. I got a new headling as the mould wouldnt come off and also some less saturated sound deadning for under the carpet. 4 hours it took which i thought was not bad at all  :smiley:

Polo gear Knob

V6 4MOTION

Offline neil1780

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 28 February 2011, 22:53 »
New crank sensor arrived and fitted and it ran all day in the drive and never cut out once  :grin: finally its fixed :smiley:

First mods was the hella twins, black badge and VR6 chin. Looks a lot better me thinks :smiley:

V6 4MOTION

Offline neil1780

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 28 February 2011, 23:10 »
Next on the cards had to be the ride height  :huh: Ive went for 60mm front 50mm rear springs at the moment as im not sure about cheap coilovers and didnt want to splash out on expensive ones not to like them. but i quite like the height and might just uprate the shocks and keep them as i have a lot of speed bumps round my scheme and it clears nicely and is quite comfortable as is. Fitted my number plates too, i know there not legal but i'll see how long i can get away with them  :smiley:

Also found a little treasure from the guy next door in the form of 17" wheels which i will be purchasing from him next week as i like them a lot  :smiley: :smiley:

Thats it up till now will update more as and when, next up is tax and insurance its still moted till july and then a good service and belt change.

To date total spent not including wheels is £450 which is not bad i thought.
« Last Edit: 28 February 2011, 23:17 by neil1780 »
V6 4MOTION