Author Topic: Storm Grey mk3, 5 door GTI 8 valve, project nurburgring on a budget!  (Read 9762 times)

Offline mk3shed_8v

• Not said much yet
Hi all newbie here, I have recently been gifted a 5 door 8 valve mk 3 Gti off my mother. She owned the car for around 7 months after paying £700 for it only to use it as her dog car (car to take dogs out in!). Shortly before coming into my hands the car was on the receiving end of 2 accidents whilst being parked up when the snow was bad before xmas. I borrowed this car on a regular basis and developed a bit of a soft spot for it and was planning to buy it off my mother once she was finished with it. Fate interviened and although not in the state i wanted to take ownership of her the little 8 valve is now mine for free!!

The Goal
Well the plan is this, although i know they are not the quickest car i want to turn this car into the perfect track car/ daily driver if that makes sense. I am not planning any engine mods as i dont want to affect fuel economy. My plan is to concentrate on suspension and brakes so that this car will handle and stop like a trackday toy but still average 30ish mpg and have all the creature comforts and practicality i need to use as a daily driver for me and my family. Want to get it ready and take a trip to the nurburgring in around 18 months time.

Current Fault List
Headlights appear cross eyed? (Will see from pics)
When car is cold it cuts out when you put clutch in approaching junctions. Is fine once warm.
O/s front electric window switch doesnt work.
o/s rear window has come off its runner.
n/s rear window not working? motor or regulator?
Glove box mechanism broken.
Front bumper lower vent missing.
Dent o/s rear door!
Rear wiper arm missing.
2 tyres very close to legal limit.
Both front fog light lenses cracked.
n/s abs plastic outer sill trim broken.

The big one! Both near side doors need replacing thanks to pre xmas accidents.

Offline mk3shed_8v

• Not said much yet
Once the fault list has been rectified then the modifications shall begin. Planned modifications are as followed, nothing spectacular but should make this old girl into a lot more of a go kart.

Modification Wish List
Neuspeed quickshift kit
Coilovers
Poly bushes all round
Grooved and drilled disks all round
green or red stuff pads all round
braided brake lines
panel filter with modded standard air box
4 good tyres on refurbished standard wheels
Strut brace

Any suggestions along this same theme are appreciate. On the plus side the car came with a scorpion cat back system with oval tailpipe. Only backbox is fitted currently but i will put centre section on very soon. The dream begins............

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
Not bad for a freebie!

You want this to be daily but take it to the ring!  :shocked: i'd suggest something more local first.

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
Looks a good base for a project.

Offline mk3shed_8v

• Not said much yet
Yea

Offline mk3shed_8v

• Not said much yet
Yeah i will do a couple of uk track days before i venture over to the ring! Hopefully get some proper tuition too to ensure that both me and the golf return in one piece. Have sourced two doors in correct colour so should have that sorted in next few weeks. Will try and crack on with jobs that dont require any funds such as crosseyed headlights and window thats off its runner over the next week or so.

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
Neuspeed quickshift kit - sure, do it.
Coilovers - You'd be better off going for Bilstein B8 struts and Eibach springs or similar, unless you're going to corner-weight it.
Poly bushes all round - replace with OEM.  They'll last better and things will work as they should.
Grooved and drilled disks all round - waste of time - just fit OEM (not 'value' - proper branded discs)
green or red stuff pads all round - OEM again, or anything that's not EBC
braided brake lines - only do this if you're replacing all 4/6 (can't remember which it is) or don't bother
panel filter with modded standard air box - just replace the filter every 6k miles instead
4 good tyres on refurbished standard wheels - find the lightest wheels you can - this will make a significant difference to the feel of the car.
Strut brace - pointless tat unless the footplates on the strut tops are welded down.

Fit a CG lock to both 3-point belts.  This will hold you in your seat a lot better.

http://www.cg-lock.co.uk/

Remove all unnecessary interior trim and the sound deadening on the floor/roof/anywhere else you find it.  This will give you a bigger performance improvement than all of the things you listed.

Replace the thermostat, stat housing (while you're down there) and the radiator.  Track work makes cars sweat and you don't want to dump your coolant on a track, it will make you deeply unpopular.

When was the cambelt last done?  If unknown, replace it.

Change oil, oil filter, fuel filter, leads, cap and rotor arm (go to VW for the last three items).  This will pep things up significantly.

A tubular manifold will significantly improve the breathing of the engine.  Fit one.

As for the 'ring: either find an insurer with no exclusion clauses, or book on a track day out there - much safer and way lower liabilities.  If the car is well-prepped and you share it between 2-3 people you can knock out +20 laps in a day - this makes TF laps at 20ish Euros a pop cost the same as a £400 track day.... you just do all the laps in one day instead of spreading them over 2-3 days.  You can also get video on track days, whereas videoing is banned on TF.

HTHs.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline mk3shed_8v

• Not said much yet
Update[/b
Well yesterday was payday. So i have managed to source two nearside doors in same paint code LK7Y and the same bloke had electric window switch and rear wiper. So the car is finally heading in  the right direction. Have also managed to sort some lower bumper air intakes from bored_welsh_lad so am definately heading in the right direction. The golfs mot runs out on my birthday jan 31st. Still need nearside outer abs plastic sill trim for 5 door if anyone has one?

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
Pollybushs ftw. Good little project you picked up for free there. Go the more door as well. Should be nice when done.

Offline mk3shed_8v

• Not said much yet
Right well this project has started slowly due to the mot and tax running out. Well today was pay day so I have dug deep and ordered some parts for the old girl ready for her return to the road.
Well a week after she was taken off the road i received two second hand near side doors in storm grey to replace the damaged ones. Also a rear wiper and electric window switch were included in these parcels. Also i received my bumper air intakes from bored_welsh_lad.

Well i spent the morning on ebay and on the blower to GSF and local vw dealer, and have purchased some goodies for the 8v,
Power rohr induction pipe (uneccesary i know but the original pipe looks f**ked!) Ebay
Pipercross panel filter GSF
1m of 76mm diameter neoprene induction pipe (to make cold air feed with bumper intakes!) Ebay
VW Plugs, oil filter, rocker cover gasket, oil, plugs,rota arm, dizzy cap and crankshaft sensor all GSF
Rocker cover to air intake breather pipe (local dealer)

Hopefully once fitted she should run like a new motor.

Am considering some magnecor 8.5mm leads on monday depending on funds, also will order some new fog lamp blanks as mine are cracked. Am hoping to fit all these parts in one go.