Author Topic: What do i need?  (Read 3488 times)

Offline xkaty_h

• GTI forum regular
Re: What do i need?
« Reply #10 on: 01 January 2011, 14:03 »
Put the sponge down and step away from it.

Get yourself a nice lambswool washing mitt. So soft and infinitely better for your paintwork than a sponge which will give you big ass swirlies in the paint.

Personally I don't like Megs stuff so I would recommend Poorboys World, Victoria Wax and Clearkote products as your basic set up, as they are competitively priced and good for your money.

Shampoo - Poorboys World Super Slick & Suds
Clay - I have Clearkote clay with their Quick Detailer too
Microfibres - Start collecting them really. They're useful for in the house too. You can use them anywhere. Good place to get them can be Asda and the like.
Drying Towel - Get a good waffle weave drying towel - Sonus, Poorboys etc
Polish - Again would recommend Victoria Wax, Poorboys etc. But there are a huge range of polishes to suit the varying differences and damages of paint so you'll have to have a google and a read up.  :smiley:
Wax - For this weather I'd recommend Collinite No.476 as it's very durable and will protect your paint throughout the harsh winter climate. For the summer I'd probably use Victoria Wax Concours Red as it's a fantastic wax that gives a darn good, natural finish and also good levels of protection.

To be honest my list is a quasi-basic compilation and perfect for those just starting as it's exactly the same as I used to do, before I got introduced to a world of machine polishing.

Quick Detailer is awesome lol. If you don't have time to do a full detail you can just wash, dry and Quick Detail. Job's a goodun! You can also dilute it to get the more out of it and can use it to clean phones, laptops tvs etc. Good stuff.  :smiley:

Jimmymature

« Reply #11 on: 01 January 2011, 15:41 »
Put the sponge down and step away from it.

Get yourself a nice lambswool washing mitt. So soft and infinitely better for your paintwork than a sponge which will give you big ass swirlies in the paint.

Personally I don't like Megs stuff so I would recommend Poorboys World, Victoria Wax and Clearkote products as your basic set up, as they are competitively priced and good for your money.

Shampoo - Poorboys World Super Slick & Suds
Clay - I have Clearkote clay with their Quick Detailer too
Microfibres - Start collecting them really. They're useful for in the house too. You can use them anywhere. Good place to get them can be Asda and the like.
Drying Towel - Get a good waffle weave drying towel - Sonus, Poorboys etc
Polish - Again would recommend Victoria Wax, Poorboys etc. But there are a huge range of polishes to suit the varying differences and damages of paint so you'll have to have a google and a read up.  :smiley:
Wax - For this weather I'd recommend Collinite No.476 as it's very durable and will protect your paint throughout the harsh winter climate. For the summer I'd probably use Victoria Wax Concours Red as it's a fantastic wax that gives a darn good, natural finish and also good levels of protection.

To be honest my list is a quasi-basic compilation and perfect for those just starting as it's exactly the same as I used to do, before I got introduced to a world of machine polishing.

Quick Detailer is awesome lol. If you don't have time to do a full detail you can just wash, dry and Quick Detail. Job's a goodun! You can also dilute it to get the more out of it and can use it to clean phones, laptops tvs etc. Good stuff.  :smiley:

Thanks mate, this really helps.

Jim

Jimmymature

« Reply #12 on: 01 January 2011, 16:45 »

"Drying Towel - Get a good waffle weave drying towel"

Are these better than chamois leather?

Offline Tazzy

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 01 January 2011, 16:52 »
a house brick is better than a chamais leather...

lol

microfibre all the way
If It Comes Off, Modify It!

Offline xkaty_h

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 01 January 2011, 17:32 »
I personally don't think chammys are that bad but drying towels are better.
The thing is if you rinse your car off after washing then the majority of the water should roll off the car so you can pat it dry without putting marks in the paint.
I don't wipe the paint when I'm drying, I lie the towel on the car and pat it. Takes yonks but with my car its all about damage limitation.

The more you keep up a good finish on your paint the easier it is to keep it clean next time.

Jimmymature

« Reply #15 on: 01 January 2011, 19:05 »
I personally don't think chammys are that bad but drying towels are better.
The thing is if you rinse your car off after washing then the majority of the water should roll off the car so you can pat it dry without putting marks in the paint.
I don't wipe the paint when I'm drying, I lie the towel on the car and pat it. Takes yonks but with my car its all about damage limitation.

The more you keep up a good finish on your paint the easier it is to keep it clean next time.

I normally dont have yonks, so if i'm carefull is it ok to wipe with towels?

Jim

Offline xkaty_h

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #16 on: 01 January 2011, 19:10 »
Yeah it's fine, I only do it that way as my paint is susceptible to marking if you so much as look at it. 

Jimmymature

« Reply #17 on: 01 January 2011, 19:13 »
Yeah it's fine, I only do it that way as my paint is susceptible to marking if you so much as look at it. 

Thanks for the advice mate.

Jim

Offline Uruk Hai

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 01 January 2011, 22:38 »
If your ever in any doubt about the softness of a towel or cloth that your using to dry with then just place it on the car and pat it dry as oppose to rubbing it dry.

Jimmymature

« Reply #19 on: 01 January 2011, 23:00 »
Quick Detail:

Is it a spray that you put on the car after a nice shampoo and dry?  Rubbed in with a microfibre cloth?
« Last Edit: 02 January 2011, 14:25 by Jimmymature »