Author Topic: "push button" starter  (Read 2188 times)

Offline MrAnderson93

• GTI forum regular
"push button" starter
« on: 28 November 2010, 21:14 »
i seen a youtube link on here before, someone ahd made the ciggarete lighter into a starter button, i was impressed and now i want to give it a go, but cant find the post or the vid again :/

just want to know who did it, maybe you could give me some advice about the job?

thanks

Offline MK3GTI_16Valve

• Here all the time
Re: "push button" starter
« Reply #1 on: 28 November 2010, 22:57 »

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #2 on: 28 November 2010, 23:27 »
Pointless and daft you still have to turn the key.

Offline MrAnderson93

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 28 November 2010, 23:29 »
Yeah i know its pointless, but its just a little novelty  :laugh: and even if someone had the keys, they wouldnt be able to start it, doubt a car theif would think to push the ciggy lighter

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #4 on: 28 November 2010, 23:32 »
Yeah i know its pointless, but its just a little novelty  :laugh: and even if someone had the keys, they wouldnt be able to start it, doubt a car theif would think to push the ciggy lighter

Yes but you cannot bypass the stater circuit as such so it will still start on the key.

Offline crazy_e

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 28 November 2010, 23:43 »
i have got remote starter on my falcon alarm with pager and apart from the time i fist fitted it and tried it i have never used it since and i havehad the car for best part of 2 years now

Offline MrAnderson93

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 28 November 2010, 23:49 »

Yes but you cannot bypass the stater circuit as such so it will still start on the key.

really :s i thought if you put a switch in place of the one on the ignition it wouldnt start from there?

so its not a case of "cutting the wires" tot he starter system and putting a push button switch in place?

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #7 on: 29 November 2010, 10:41 »
yeah you can easily bypass the starter switch in the ignition lock, just cut red/black wire to ign switch or the red/black wire behind the fusebox, job done.
In fact later mk3s have a 2 pin plug in the starter wire from fusebox as factory, its for alarm equipped models and automatics. could get an auto plug, chop off the feed side wire and run the output side to your starter switch, job done.

what I would do in this situation, is pop the red/black wire out of the ignition swith. next I would go down the scrappy, and find a mk3, pop the starter plug off and chop off a really good length of the red black wire. next I woudl wire in a relay next to the starter, run the ouput pin of the relay to the length of wire you cut out, and pop that on your starter. tape up the old plug to stop water getting in and damaging the pin.
run the live and earth to relay direct to the battery, with an inline fuse for safety. then run the relay trigger wire to your push button. use an ign live feed for the input side of the switch, so starter will only turn when the ignition is on.

that way all the old wiring is unmodified, and its dead easy to put back in case your push button or relay fails.  plus you have a nice relay there to ensure the lots of power to the starter, and you also can use whatever push button you like as you aren't running the full starter power thru the switch :)
« Last Edit: 29 November 2010, 10:54 by rubjonny »
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline MK3GTI_16Valve

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 29 November 2010, 12:25 »
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict  :smiley:

Offline Adam

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 29 November 2010, 13:10 »
I did it to my old MK3 as a 'temp' fix that turned into a long term fix to the ignition switch going.

And the video was me you saw - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYmhfSTgnJE

Down Hill From Here.