Author Topic: Its winter.. lower mpg expected ?  (Read 4383 times)

Offline josh_419

• GTI forum regular
  • A hammer - The answer to everything
Its winter.. lower mpg expected ?
« on: 20 November 2010, 17:52 »
I have been getting around 5mpg less on my same trip to work every day now its getting colder.
Diesel being a heat engine and taking in cold air reducing mpg at all ?
Its a rumor, correct me!

And no, i dont have a pair of different shoes (heavier ones..)
GT TDI 130 - TT alloys, HID's, Lowered 35mm, ReMap (178bhp) + ridiculous torque. Build Thread
GTI 1.8 20v - For sale £2000

Offline Agreeable Slick

• Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • Unit
Re: Its winter.. lower mpg expected ?
« Reply #1 on: 20 November 2010, 18:27 »
Cold Mornings make it work harder. Simples. :smiley:

Offline player.777

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 20 November 2010, 19:51 »
yes it is a sad state of affairs!  :cry:

Offline asif

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 20 November 2010, 21:26 »
Mine don't really change much to be honest, maybe cuz mine is sh*t all year round  :grin:

Dunno why i'm  :grin: as most of the time it's got me  :cry:
MK7 GT Bluemotion Tech TDi

Offline DON_GEOVANI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 22 November 2010, 13:00 »
suffering the same unfortunately, especially early mornings

Offline Adam

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 23 November 2010, 02:46 »
Once it has fully warmed up mine hasn't changed.

Down Hill From Here.

Offline blujedi

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 23 November 2010, 08:46 »
i drive a gt tdi and also have been feelin like my mpg has dropped. but i think it is those shorter journeys, especially when the car doesnt get channce to warm up.

i looked in the vw manual in the glove box and it says that your fuel consumption is double until the cat is up to temperature and it takes approximately 4 km of driving to warm it up.

perhaps its just taking longer to get the temperature in the cat. since reading that i never accelerate hard until i can see the water temp gauge start to move. and it doesnt budge for longer during these cold morning we have been getting.

take alook in your manula, im sure you'll read the same. look under mpg or emissions.

Offline BJD

• GTI forum regular
  • G2 GTI 16V - G4 TDI 130
« Reply #7 on: 23 November 2010, 18:10 »
i drive a gt tdi and also have been feelin like my mpg has dropped. but i think it is those shorter journeys, especially when the car doesnt get channce to warm up.

i looked in the vw manual in the glove box and it says that your fuel consumption is double until the cat is up to temperature and it takes approximately 4 km of driving to warm it up.

perhaps its just taking longer to get the temperature in the cat. since reading that i never accelerate hard until i can see the water temp gauge start to move. and it doesnt budge for longer during these cold morning we have been getting.

take alook in your manula, im sure you'll read the same. look under mpg or emissions.

So what happens if you have a de-cat. I don't; im jut wondering if that changes your MPG?

Offline Adam

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 23 November 2010, 20:30 »

So what happens if you have a de-cat. I don't; im jut wondering if that changes your MPG?

I'm 90% I witnessed better MPG after a de cat.

Down Hill From Here.

Offline asif

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 25 November 2010, 12:43 »
Supposed to b one of the benefits of a de-cat, better flow so better power = better fuel economy depending on your driving style.
MK7 GT Bluemotion Tech TDi