Author Topic: Alternative to electroluminescent foil?  (Read 1954 times)

Offline Haribo!

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,327
Alternative to electroluminescent foil?
« on: 02 November 2010, 12:57 »
Somehow I have torn the EL foil I had internally so the current lights up a tiny part of my cut outs for my dials and stops at that, Knowing this is something that can happen, I could easily avoid letting it bend enough for this to happen again but low and behold, I cant seem to find a place that sells it anywhere anymore.

Does anyone know somewhere that sells an A4 sheet of cuttable EL foil that lights up white and wont cost me 100 quid from the USA :(

My last one was 40 quid but they dont stock anymore :(

Second question, would anything else have a similar effect?

Offline Haribo!

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,327

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Alternative to electroluminescent foil?
« Reply #2 on: 02 November 2010, 13:40 »
a selection of leds with the ends sanded to diffuse the light a bit?
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline Haribo!

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,327
Re: Alternative to electroluminescent foil?
« Reply #3 on: 02 November 2010, 15:32 »
Would have to be a fair few, lol

I've found some reasonably priced foil now so we'll see if I can nail it this time, apparently after cutting it should be re-laminated. So I'll give that go.

Offline danny_p

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,644
Re: Alternative to electroluminescent foil?
« Reply #4 on: 03 November 2010, 00:09 »
ELF is funny stuff to be fair to it. 
all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline The Mighty Elvi

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,403
  • I'm better than you today.
Re: Alternative to electroluminescent foil?
« Reply #5 on: 03 November 2010, 11:37 »
Go back to the original thread you posted and my reply with the youtube video.

The German one with the white LED's and red needles.  Do that instead.

Or next time:

"measure twice, cut once."

Jonathan.

 :grin:

Offline Haribo!

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,327
Re: Alternative to electroluminescent foil?
« Reply #6 on: 03 November 2010, 16:12 »
Wiring up a load of LEDs would be a total nightmare, these very expensive metal monkey dials have been made to be back lit, They dont really work otherwise.

I think the guy your on about lit them from the front

Offline The Mighty Elvi

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,403
  • I'm better than you today.
Re: Alternative to electroluminescent foil?
« Reply #7 on: 03 November 2010, 16:44 »
Correct, he did.  You didnt say you were keeping the MM dials.

If you are then best have another go with the EL foil.  Can you not use one sheet and cut to fit?


Offline Haribo!

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,327
Re: Alternative to electroluminescent foil?
« Reply #8 on: 03 November 2010, 18:53 »
Correct, he did.  You didnt say you were keeping the MM dials.

If you are then best have another go with the EL foil.  Can you not use one sheet and cut to fit?



Well they were 70 quid, cant go wasting that sort of money :p

ive got two sheets on the way, one for each dial, wel see how it goes  :huh: