Author Topic: pic request - front panel mounting points  (Read 3666 times)

Offline cняis

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,034
  • Know there's something burning over there...
pic request - front panel mounting points
« on: 01 November 2010, 12:00 »
Hi guys

how silly of me.... i removed a front panel from a scrappy car and forgot where all the bolts go, as my original one is missing some bolts  :rolleyes:

i took all the bolts from the scrap vehicle too but can anyone shed some light on where the bolts go?

i know theres one right at the bottom (bolts into rad support cross member) and IIRC two under each headlamp hole?

Refresh my memory guys  :grin: if youve got a pic that would be great


I don't think a semi will give the same results

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: pic request - front panel mounting points
« Reply #1 on: 01 November 2010, 13:13 »
just look at the holes in the slam panel, you'll see the holes where bolts were due to witness marks, p[lus also where there is a hole see if you can see thread behind it for it to screw into!
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: pic request - front panel mounting points
« Reply #2 on: 01 November 2010, 13:25 »
I'm still looking for a bolt that fits the lower slam pannel I think they were either massive self tapping ones or they need a nut on the back with washers  :undecided:
Its weird mines the same could not find decent bolts that worked aswell?  :lipsrsealed: 

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: pic request - front panel mounting points
« Reply #3 on: 01 November 2010, 13:41 »
all the bolts in the slam panel should be the same, they are self-tappers as you say. vw will sell you one
N 0159461 - hexagon head panel screw, A6,5X19
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: pic request - front panel mounting points
« Reply #4 on: 01 November 2010, 13:54 »
all the bolts in the slam panel should be the same, they are self-tappers as you say. vw will sell you one
N 0159461 - hexagon head panel screw, A6,5X19

Right proberly the metal has been abused over the years and the self tappers are too small on mine hence a bigger one is needed.

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: pic request - front panel mounting points
« Reply #5 on: 01 November 2010, 13:59 »
yea sounds like it. if you can get behind the panel sometimes tapping the rear of it with a hammer/drift can flatten the thread a bit and allow you to get a screw to tighten again?

heres a pic anyway, can see 2 per side under the lights, 2 per side top of the wings and 1 more down the bottom in the middle
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: pic request - front panel mounting points
« Reply #6 on: 01 November 2010, 14:10 »
You got project page I never see you work John? :cool:

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: pic request - front panel mounting points
« Reply #7 on: 01 November 2010, 15:34 »
I do on clubgti, got 2 one for the gti and one for the cabby i sold early this year :)

I dont really update as often as I should, spend too much time doing actual work rather than taking photos every 5 minutes  :grin:
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: pic request - front panel mounting points
« Reply #8 on: 01 November 2010, 15:56 »
Haaa I'll go over and check it out soon  :cool:
You full time mechanic now? can't remember if you were looking at studying full time for it?

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: pic request - front panel mounting points
« Reply #9 on: 01 November 2010, 16:04 »
no still working in IT. I'd like to work as a vw mechanic but really I cant afford the drop in pay, I'd have to start again from the bottom of the ladder as I don't have any experience working in a proper garage. I'm sure 'I have spent many hours round the back of my house fiddling with random cars' on the cv wont impress a future employer :grin:

i did get offered an interview with the phirm though, which was highly tempting. if i was single and didn't have a large mortgage I'd seriouly think about changing my career. but then, if you start doing spannering as a job rather than a hobby theres the risk you stop enjoying it!
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.